(Thermo) Energy as Taylor expansion

In summary, the problem is asking to compute \Delta E in terms of \Delta T for three functions with V constant. For part f, you will need to use a similar approach as part e, but with two variables, V and T. For part g, the problem is asking for the second derivative of E with respect to T.
RadiumBlue

Homework Statement

[/B]
I've attached a screenshot of the problem, which will probably provide much better context than my retelling. I'm having problems with parts f and g. The most relevant piece of information is:

"To get used to the process of Taylor expansions in two variables, first we will let [itex] V [/itex] be a constant. For the following three functions compute [itex] \Delta E [/itex] in terms of [itex] \Delta T[/itex] with [itex] V [/itex] constant.

1:[itex] E = \alpha V T^{17}[/itex] where [itex] \alpha [/itex] is a constant. "
etc.

Homework Equations

Taylor series
[itex]\Delta E = \frac{dE}{dT} \Delta T [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem with this question is I'm not quite sure what it's asking/what answer it wants. Does it want just the first two terms of the taylor expansion for each equation, using V as a constant?

I solved part e this way:

Taylor expansion of E with respect to T:
[itex] E(T) = E(T_i) + \frac{dE}{dT} (T-T_i) ... [/itex]

Using only the linear term as the problem states, and subtracting E(T_i)

[itex] E(T) - E(T_i) = \frac{dE}{dT} (T-T_i) [/itex]

Substituting

[itex] \Delta E = \frac{dE}{dT} \Delta T [/itex]I don't know how to proceed for part F. Would it be this for the first equation?

[itex] \alpha V T^{17} = \alpha V (T_i)^{17} + 17\alpha V T^{16} (T-(T_i)) [/itex]

[itex] \alpha V T^{17} - \alpha V (T_i)^{17} = 17\alpha V T^{16} (\Delta T) [/itex]

and so forth? Or is it more complicated than that?

Attachments

• thermo1.png
    thermo1.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your work and thought process! It looks like you have a good understanding of the Taylor series expansion and how to apply it to this problem. For part f, you are correct in using the same approach as you did for part e. However, the only difference is that you will have two variables, V and T, instead of just T. So your final answer should have both V and T terms.

For part g, it seems like the problem is asking for the second derivative of E with respect to T, which is the coefficient of the quadratic term in the Taylor series expansion. So you will need to use the same approach but take the second derivative of E with respect to T instead of the first derivative.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarification on any of the steps. Good luck!

Related to (Thermo) Energy as Taylor expansion

What is (Thermo) Energy as Taylor expansion?

(Thermo) Energy as Taylor expansion is a mathematical representation of the internal energy of a thermodynamic system. It is based on the Taylor series, which is a way of expressing a function as an infinite sum of terms. In this case, the function is the internal energy, and the terms represent the contributions from different variables such as temperature, pressure, and volume.

Why is it important to use Taylor expansion for (Thermo) Energy?

Taylor expansion allows us to approximate the internal energy of a thermodynamic system with a finite number of terms. This makes it easier to analyze and model the behavior of the system. It also allows us to make predictions about the system's behavior under different conditions, such as changes in temperature or pressure.

How is (Thermo) Energy as Taylor expansion related to thermodynamics?

Thermo energy as Taylor expansion is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics. It is used to describe the internal energy of a system, which is one of the key variables in thermodynamics. It is also related to other thermodynamic quantities such as entropy and enthalpy, which can also be expressed as Taylor series.

What are some applications of (Thermo) Energy as Taylor expansion?

(Thermo) Energy as Taylor expansion has many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, chemistry, and physics. It is used to model and analyze thermodynamic systems, design efficient energy systems, and understand the behavior of materials under different conditions. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as renewable energy sources and energy storage systems.

What are the limitations of using (Thermo) Energy as Taylor expansion?

While (Thermo) Energy as Taylor expansion is a useful tool for analyzing and modeling thermodynamic systems, it has some limitations. One of the main limitations is that it assumes the system is in equilibrium, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the number of terms used in the series increases. It is important to consider these limitations when using Taylor expansion for (Thermo) Energy.