Derive the energy required for an ideal refrigerator

In summary: So the cycle is completed and the temperature of the mass is reduced by dT. In summary, the problem presents an ideal refrigerator that operates on a Carnot cycle and aims to find the energy, E, required to cool a mass M with specific heat C by a certain temperature change, ΔT, from an initial temperature, T_i. The relationship between E and the other variables is given by E ∼ (MCΔT^2)/(2T_i). The discussion also involves the concept of entropy change, and using the equations for entropy change for the mass and surroundings,
Old_sm0key

Homework Statement

Show that the energy, E, that needs to be supplied to an ideal refrigerator to cool a mass M with specific heat C by [itex]\Delta[/itex]T from an initial temperature [itex]T_i[/itex] is:
[tex]E\sim \frac{MC\Delta T^2}{2T_i}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Carnot efficiency where T_i is the starting higher temperature: [itex]e=\frac{\Delta T}{T_i}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to marry the Carnot efficiency with Q=MCdeltaT, or why the approx. equal to appears with the 0.5 coefficient!

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about the total change in entropy (ie. ΔSM + ΔSsurr) from the initial to final states?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
What can you say about the total change in entropy (ie. ΔSM + ΔSsurr) from the initial to final states?

AM
Assuming an *ideal* refrigerator involves an irreversible cooling process of mass M, then [itex]\Delta S_M+\Delta S_{surr}>0[/itex]
...but how does this help?

Old_sm0key said:
Assuming an *ideal* refrigerator involves an irreversible cooling process of mass M, then [itex]\Delta S_M+\Delta S_{surr}>0[/itex]
...but how does this help?
I think the concept behind the "ideal refrigerator" is that it runs on a Carnot cycle - the reverse of the Carnot engine cycle.

Write out the equations:

##\Delta S_{Mass} = \int_{T_i}^{T} \frac{dQ_{Mass}}{T} = \int_{T_i}^{T} MC\frac{dT}{T} ##

##\Delta S_{Surr} = -\frac{(\Delta Q_{Mass} + W)}{T_i}## where W is the work required to run the reverse Carnot cycle (or the energy E that must be supplied to the refrigerator to do the work W),

Does that help?

AM

Last edited:
Oddball problem.
Because the answer clearly depends on the refrigerator's (constant) environment temperature T1.

Call the instantaneous temperature of the mass T2.
So, make the following assumption: initially, T2 = Ti = T1. In other words, the mass was at T1 for a long time so its initial temperature is T1.
Then, over a very small but complete carnot cycle, the average T2 = T1 - dT2/2. (It starts at T2 = Ti and ends up at T2 = Ti - dT2).
You know what we mean by "very small", right? So you need to work with the 1st and 2nd laws in their differential form.

Andrew Mason said:
I think the concept behind the "ideal refrigerator" is that it runs on a Carnot cycle - the reverse of the Carnot engine cycle.

Write out the equations:

##\Delta S_{Mass} = \int_{T_i}^{T} \frac{dQ_{Mass}}{T} = \int_{T_i}^{T} MC\frac{dT}{T} ##

##\Delta S_{Surr} = -\frac{(\Delta Q_{Mass} + W)}{T_i}## where W is the work required to run the reverse Carnot cycle (or the energy E that must be supplied to the refrigerator to do the work W),

Does that help?

AM

Not really I'm afraid. I'm conscious that I don't appear lazy so wish to stress that I am keen to have a good go myself, but thermodynamics has never been my strongest suit, and I cannot see an intuitive route to get to their final result.
I computed the integral as: [itex]\Delta S_{mass}=MC\ln \frac{T_i+\Delta T}{T_i}[/itex] but there are no logarithms in it...?
So would you mind guiding me further please.

Andrew Mason said:
Does that help?
AM
W is not a part of the change in entropy of the surroundings.

rude man said:

Yes I did think that. Can you offer some guidance please?

Old_sm0key said:
Yes I did think that. Can you offer some guidance please?
I did. See my post #5.

rude man said:
?? W contributes to Qh, the heat flow to the hot reservoir. The difference between Qh and Qc is W. In the forward direction, W = Qh-Qc. where W is the work produced by the system, Qh is the heat flow from the hot reservoir and Qc is the heatflow to the cold. In the reverse direction, W + Qc = Qh, where Qh is the heat flow to the hot reservoir (ie the surroundings). So W contributes to Qh and Qh/Th is the change in entropy of the surroundings.

I assume in this case that Th, the temperature of the hot reservoir, is Ti. But I am not entirely clear on what the set-up is. I was assuming that a Carnot cycle operated between the mass and a hot reservoir at a constant temperature, Ti . Otherwise it would have to state the temperatures that the refrigerator is operating between. But perhaps we do not have the entire question.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
?? W contributes to Qh, the heat flow to the hot reservoir. The difference between Qh and Qc is W. In the forward direction, W = Qh-Qc. where W is the work produced by the system, Qh is the heat flow from the hot reservoir and Qc is the heatflow to the cold. In the reverse direction, W + Qc = Qh, where Qh is the heat flow to the hot reservoir (ie the surroundings). So W contributes to Qh and Qh/Th is the change in entropy of the surroundings.

I assume in this case that Th, the temperature of the hot reservoir, is Ti. But I am not entirely clear on what the set-up is. I was assuming that a Carnot cycle operated between the mass and a hot reservoir at a constant temperature, Ti . Otherwise it would have to state the temperatures that the refrigerator is operating between. But perhaps we do not have the entire question.

AM
I think you have the right interpretation, which is what I wrote in my post. And OK the way you wrote the change in entropy of the hot side is correct. I was misled by the appearance of W in the entropy expression (the idea of W/T being entropy threw me).

The mass and the ambient are initially at the same temperature, then the refrigeration cycle is started and in very short order an infinitesimal Carnot cycle is completed and the temperature of the mass is reduced by an amount dT. The Carnot cycle is infinitesimally small in all four of its segments so the equations have to be in differential form. So integrations are inapposite.

This problem is interesting in that it involves an infinitesimanl carnot cycle in all four segments. If you remember, back on Aug. 23, 2014 in the intro. physics forum there was a similar problem involving another infinitesimal carnot cycle but there the initial temperature difference between hot & cold reservoirs was initially finite and ended up → 0, so the isotherms were initially widely separated but with the adiabatics → 0. Here all four segments are infinitesimally small and stay that way.

Thanks both. Yes I posted the entire question.

I am still having problems with the question.

If this was a Carnot refrigerator operating between constant temperatures T and Ti, the COP would be: COP = Qc/W = T/(Ti-T) so W = Qc/COP = MCΔT/(T/ΔT) = MCΔT2/T. Since 2Ti >> T, we know that this is not the setup.

If, then, this is a Carnot cycle operating between the object initially at Ti and a hot reservoir at Ti (because there is no other temperature mentioned), and a cold reservoir being the object itself (initially at Ti), the energy required (work that must be supplied) in order to effect a change in temperature dT would be: W = Qc/COP = MCdT/(Ti/dT) = MCdT2/Ti. For the answer to be correct, the work supplied would be one half of this amount, which means that the refrigerator would require less work than a Carnot refrigerator, which is not possible. So I think the OP is correct. There is something wrong with the question.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I am still having problems with the question.
AM
The infinitesimal cycle starts with Tc = Ti and ends up with Tc = Ti - dTc. So during the cycle the AVERAGE temperature difference is not dTc but dTc/2.
The problem statement and answer look right to me.

rude man said:
The infinitesimal cycle starts with Tc = Ti and ends up with Tc = Ti - dTc. So during the cycle the AVERAGE temperature difference is not dTc but dTc/2.
The problem statement and answer look right to me.
Ok. That may be what they are thinking. But this only works for an infinitesimal change in temperature and is approximately true only when T and Ti are very close.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Ok. That may be what they are thinking. But this only works for an infinitesimal change in temperature and is approximately true only when T and Ti are very close.
AM
OK, I recomputed this with a finite ΔT and verified the given answer again. Only requirement is that ΔT << Ti.
Since the statement does not say ΔT → 0 I do agree that a differentially small carnot cycle doesn't have to be assumed and finite integrations are perfectly OK (as I did here).

OK, I recomputed this with a finite ΔT and verified the given answer again. Only requirement is that ΔT << Ti.
Since the statement does not say ΔT → 0 I do agree that a differentially small carnot cycle doesn't have to be assumed and finite integrations are then needed (as I did this time). I also agree that the problem should have stated ΔT << Ti. I think some people associate a delta with a small change but that is not of course always the case.

Related to Derive the energy required for an ideal refrigerator

1. What is an ideal refrigerator?

An ideal refrigerator is a theoretical concept that represents a perfect refrigeration system that can achieve maximum efficiency and have no energy losses. It serves as a benchmark for comparing the performance of real refrigerators.

2. How does an ideal refrigerator work?

An ideal refrigerator works on the principle of thermodynamics, specifically the vapor compression cycle. It uses a refrigerant, which undergoes a continuous cycle of evaporation, compression, condensation, and expansion to cool the interior of the fridge.

3. What is the energy required for an ideal refrigerator?

The energy required for an ideal refrigerator can be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. In this case, the energy required is the amount of work needed to compress the refrigerant and remove heat from the interior of the fridge.

4. How can the energy efficiency of a real refrigerator be compared to an ideal one?

The energy efficiency of a real refrigerator can be compared to an ideal one by calculating the coefficient of performance (COP). The COP is the ratio of the heat removed from the interior of the fridge to the work required for the compression process. A higher COP indicates a more efficient refrigerator.

5. Can an ideal refrigerator be achieved in reality?

No, an ideal refrigerator is a theoretical concept and cannot be achieved in reality. Real refrigerators will always have some energy losses due to factors such as friction, heat transfer, and imperfect insulation. However, advancements in technology have allowed for the development of more efficient refrigerators that come closer to the ideal.