Thermaldynamics problem, reversible process work done on

In summary, the problem asks for the work done ON the gas during a reversible process from state a to b, given the points a = (300kPa, 1m^3) and b = (500kPa, 2m^3) on a straight line graph. The work can be calculated using the equation W = -\int PdV, where P is the pressure and V is the volume. The gas does positive work on the surroundings and the internal energy change can be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics, \DeltaU = Q - W.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

One mole of a monatomic ideal gas is taken through a reversible process from an initial state "a" to a final state "b" during which the pressure of the gas varies with volume V as shown below. Calculate the work Won[/on](a->b) done on the gas during this process.

Homework Equations

problem shows a graph which i'll just write out points a and b

a = (300kPa, 1m^3), b= (500kPa, 2m^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

work on = negative integral Pextdv and since this is reversible then P should equal Pext

I can calculate the temp at a and b, but i don't think that will contribute to anything.

Sorry this should be easy, but I'm confused

Physics news on Phys.org
Liquidxlax said:

Homework Statement

One mole of a monatomic ideal gas is taken through a reversible process from an initial state "a" to a final state "b" during which the pressure of the gas varies with volume V as shown below. Calculate the work Won[/on](a->b) done on the gas during this process.

Homework Equations

problem shows a graph which i'll just write out points a and b

a = (300kPa, 1m^3), b= (500kPa, 2m^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

work on = negative integral Pextdv and since this is reversible then P should equal Pext

I can calculate the temp at a and b, but i don't think that will contribute to anything.

Sorry this should be easy, but I'm confused

Is it a straight line from a to b or is it a curve? If it is a curve, we need to know the relationship between P and V at all points from a to b.

AM

sorry it's a straight line, and i thought to myself, if there is no heat added or lost, then could i use the fact

dU = Q + W where Q = 0

then (3/2)nRdT = dU = W?

Just to point out, [itex]\Delta[/itex]E = Q - W... not Q + W.
From introductory general physics, [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = -W.
Potential energy is equal to negative work. [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = Ua - Ub or [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = -(Ub - Ua)
W = Ub - Ua

Thus, [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = -W.

If I'm not mistaken, correct?

Liquidxlax said:
sorry it's a straight line, and i thought to myself, if there is no heat added or lost, then could i use the fact

dU = Q + W where Q = 0

then (3/2)nRdT = dU = W?
How does it increase its volume AND pressure (hence temperature) without positive heatflow into the gas? Is the gas doing positive work on the surroundings or is positive work being done on the gas?

AM

mbradar2 said:
Just to point out, [itex]\Delta[/itex]E = Q - W... not Q + W.
From introductory general physics, [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = -W.
Potential energy is equal to negative work. [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = Ua - Ub or [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = -(Ub - Ua)
W = Ub - Ua

Thus, [itex]\Delta[/itex]U = -W.

If I'm not mistaken, correct?
This only applies if the process is adiabatic, which this is not. Whether there is a - sign for W depends on the convention used. There are two different conventions for the first law. You are using the convention I prefer, which is that dW = PdV = work done BY the gas. Some texts use dW = -PdV = work done ON the gas. The OP is using the latter convention. The question actually asks for the work done ON the gas ie [itex]-\int PdV[/itex].

AM

Andrew Mason said:
This only applies if the process is adiabatic, which this is not. Whether there is a - sign for W depends on the convention used. There are two different conventions for the first law. You are using the convention I prefer, which is that dW = PdV = work done BY the gas. Some texts use dW = -PdV = work done ON the gas. The OP is using the latter convention. The question actually asks for the work done ON the gas ie [itex]-\int PdV[/itex].

AM

Oh, right. Sign conventions always trips me up.
Thanks for clarifying, and sorry to Liquidxlax for adding confusion :P

mbradar2 said:
Oh, right. Sign conventions always trips me up.
Thanks for clarifying, and sorry to Liquidxlax for adding confusion :P

no problem i have no problem with the sign convention, the fact i just made W positive wasn't for a fact i was confused about the convention.

thanks for the help guys

Liquidxlax said:
no problem i have no problem with the sign convention, the fact i just made W positive wasn't for a fact i was confused about the convention.

thanks for the help guys
So what was your answer?

AM

Related to Thermaldynamics problem, reversible process work done on

1. What is thermaldynamics?

Thermaldynamics is the study of energy conversion between different forms, such as heat and mechanical work.

2. What is a reversible process in thermaldynamics?

A reversible process is one in which the system can be returned to its initial state after undergoing a change, without leaving any trace on its surroundings.

3. How is work done on a reversible process calculated?

The work done on a reversible process is calculated by taking the integral of the pressure with respect to volume, where the boundaries of the integral correspond to the initial and final states of the process.

4. What factors affect the work done on a reversible process?

The work done on a reversible process is affected by the temperature, pressure, and volume of the system, as well as the efficiency of the process.

5. What is the significance of the work done on a reversible process?

The work done on a reversible process is a measure of the energy transfer in the system, and can be used to determine the efficiency of the process. It is also important in understanding and analyzing thermaldynamic systems and their behavior.