Thermal Expansion of Gas - am I on the right track?

In summary, to find the amount of heat needed to double the volume of an ideal gas with a specific heat capacity of 2.5R at constant pressure, we can use the equations H=U+PV and Q=ncvΔT. By rearranging these equations and using the ideal gas law, we can find the final temperature when the volume is doubled. This question may seem confusing, but with the given information, we can solve for the final temperature without going in circles using one equation to solve another.
Quelsita
Question:
One mole of an ideal gas with cv=2.5R, initially at 0.0degC, is heated at constant pressure. How much heat is needed to double its volume?

Solution:

Know:
n=1
T0=273.15K
cv=2.5R
[tex]\Delta[/tex]P=0
Vf=2V0

H=U +PV
and thus, Q= [tex]\Delta[/tex]H
Q=ncv[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

We can rearrange to find
[tex]\Delta[/tex]H=[tex]\Delta[/tex]U +P(2V0-V0) -> since Vf=2V0

My question is, what do I do with the internal energy? and how can I find the pressure with the given information if I also don't know the final temp?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: it's an ideal gas.

Well, for an ideal gas PV=nRT.
And since P is constant, can I say that:

P0 = (nRT0)/V0
is the same as
P= (nRT0)/V0

so , P= [(273.15K)(nR)]/V0

What's the final temperature?

Honestly, I'm kinda stuck here. It feels to me like with the information I have that I'm just going in circles using one equation to solve another one.
I don't think this question should even be this confusing...

Use the ideal gas law to find the final temperature when the volume is doubled at constant pressure.

Related to Thermal Expansion of Gas - am I on the right track?

1. What is thermal expansion of gas?

Thermal expansion of gas is the increase in volume of a gas due to an increase in temperature. This is because the molecules in a gas gain energy and move farther apart, occupying a larger space.

2. How does temperature affect the volume of a gas?

An increase in temperature causes the molecules in a gas to move faster and spread out, resulting in an increase in volume. On the other hand, a decrease in temperature causes the molecules to slow down and move closer together, leading to a decrease in volume.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and pressure in gas expansion?

According to Charles' Law, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature, assuming pressure and number of molecules remain constant. This means that as temperature increases, so does the volume of a gas, and vice versa.

4. Are all gases affected by thermal expansion in the same way?

No, the degree of thermal expansion in a gas depends on its properties, such as its molecular mass and the strength of intermolecular forces. For instance, lighter gases with weaker intermolecular forces will expand more than heavier gases with stronger intermolecular forces at the same temperature.

5. What are some real-life applications of thermal expansion of gas?

Thermal expansion of gas is utilized in many everyday devices, such as thermometers, hot air balloons, and air conditioning systems. It is also important in industrial processes, such as gas pipelines and combustion engines, where precise temperature control is crucial.