Thermal Expansion of a copper sphere

In summary, to find the common temperature at which a copper sphere of radius 2.000 cm will pass through a hole of radius 1.990 cm in an aluminum plate at 20 deg. C, you need to use the coefficients of linear expansion for both materials. After setting up a linear equation using these coefficients and the difference between the two sides, you can solve for ΔT, which is 849.62 degrees. Adding this to the initial temperature of 20 degrees, you get a final temperature of 869.62 degrees.
ElBell
Please help with the below question: I have given my attempt below!

"A copper sphere of radius 2.000 cm is placed over a hole of radius 1.990 cm in an aluminum plate at 20 deg. C. At what common temperature will the sphere pass through the hole?"

My answer:

((∆T(23* 10-6)(0.01990)- .00010 = ∆T(17* 10-6)(0.02)

((∆T(23* 10-6)(0.01990) - .00010 = ∆T(17* 10-6)(0.02)

(∆T x 4.577x10^-7) – 0.00010 = (∆T x 3.4x10^-7)

- 0.00010 = (∆T x 3.4x10^-7) – (∆T x 4.577x10^-7)

-0.00010 = ∆T x -1.177 x 10^-7

∆T = 849.62

Do my equations and calcs look correct? I believed the answer was in the high 700's range...I also don't know how to bring the 20 degrees into it?

HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Explain what you did please. Were the thermal expansion coefficients given for 20 °C or for for 0 °C?ehild

Last edited:
Sure!

First, I found out that the coefficients of linear expansion were 23* 10^-6 for aluminium and 17* 10^-6 for copper.

Then I formulated a linear equation using these coefficients, to try and find the missing temperature.

The left side of the equation, I also added the difference between the two sides- which is .00010.

I think went about solving the equation, but I am not confident in it being right!

Your equations were confusing with that superfluous number of parentheses. The result for ∆T is correct, but add 20°C to get the common temperature, and round it to the significant digits and write out the unit.

ehild

Last edited:
No I haven't used the 20 degrees anywhere..thats the problem I don't know what to do with it.

So how do I work out the coefficients of 20 degrees? I have a table that gives 'typical average values' of each substance, with the coefficient given under the heading a(degrees celcius^-1).

What does that mean?

ElBell said:
No I haven't used the 20 degrees anywhere..thats the problem I don't know what to do with it.

So how do I work out the coefficients of 20 degrees? I have a table that gives 'typical average values' of each substance, with the coefficient given under the heading a(degrees celcius^-1).

What does that mean?

What was the formula you learned for the linear thermal expansion of solids? Was it the same as this one:

[tex]L(final)-L(initial)=a(T(final) -T(initial)) [/tex]

T(final) -T(initial) is abbreviated as ΔT.

You calculated ΔT. Add the initial temperature to it, and you get the final temperature.

ehild

Thanks very much for your help. I got the idea for the equation from another post as one wasnt given on my assignment.

I am guessing I add 849 degrees to 20 degrees to get my final result?

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Yes, add it!

ehild

Related to Thermal Expansion of a copper sphere

What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to increase in size when heated and decrease in size when cooled.

How does thermal expansion affect a copper sphere?

When a copper sphere is heated, its molecules begin to vibrate more and take up more space, causing the sphere to expand. When the sphere is cooled, the molecules slow down and the sphere contracts.

What is the coefficient of thermal expansion for copper?

The coefficient of thermal expansion for copper is 17 x 10^-6 /°C, which means that for every 1°C increase in temperature, copper will expand by 17 parts per million.

What factors affect the thermal expansion of a copper sphere?

The thermal expansion of a copper sphere is affected by its initial size, the temperature change, and the material composition of the sphere.

How is the thermal expansion of a copper sphere measured?

The thermal expansion of a copper sphere can be measured using a device called a dilatometer, which measures the change in length or volume of a material as it is heated or cooled. It can also be calculated using the coefficient of thermal expansion and the change in temperature.