Thermal equilibrium, find final temp. or system?

In summary, the equilibrium temperature of the system will be 21.75 degrees C when a 274 g block of copper at 317°C is placed in a 137 g aluminum calorimeter cup containing 829 g of water at 13.0°C. This is determined by equating the heat lost by the copper to the heat gained by the aluminum and water, and solving the resulting equation for the final temperature. The order of initial and final temperatures is chosen to produce positive values for change in heat, resulting in a positive equilibrium temperature.
gibson101
I solved the problem and have the correct answer just not sure about something.

Question:What will be the equilibrium temperature when a 274 g block of copper at 317°C is placed in a 137 g aluminum calorimeter cup containing 829 g of water at 13.0°C?

So heat lost by copper = heat gained by aluminum and water
So mcΔT= mcΔT + mcΔT

(274g)(.093 cal/g*C)(317-Tfinal)=(137g)(.22 cal/g*C)(Tfinal-12.6)+(829g)(1 cal/g*C)(Tfinal-12.6)

Solving this equation gives me 21.75 degrees C.
But why am i subtracting the final temperature from the initial temperature for copper? Whereas for the aluminum and water I am subtracting the initial from the final temp? I though ΔT was final temp - initial temp?

Physics news on Phys.org
gibson101 said:
Solving this equation gives me 21.75 degrees C.
But why am i subtracting the final temperature from the initial temperature for copper? Whereas for the aluminum and water I am subtracting the initial from the final temp? I though ΔT was final temp - initial temp?

Yes it is. But on the left side is the heat lost while on the right side the heat is gained.

If you just checked heat before = heat after then the left side would be

-(274g)(.093 cal/g*C)(Tfinal-317)

Note the minus sign to indicate a loss in heat.

You're balancing an equation. On one side you have heat losses and on the other heat gains. In order to equate their magnitudes you need to change the sign of one of the ΔQ's. This is accomplished by choosing the order of initial versus final temperatures accordingly. Usually the order is chosen to produce positive numbers for change in heat for comparison. So we have Q amount of heat given up on the left hand side equals Q amount of heat taken up on the other.

1. What is thermal equilibrium?

Thermal equilibrium is a state in which two objects at different temperatures are in contact and have reached a common temperature. This means that there is no longer a net transfer of heat between the two objects.

2. How do you determine the final temperature of a system in thermal equilibrium?

The final temperature of a system in thermal equilibrium can be determined by using the law of conservation of energy. This states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. Therefore, the sum of the initial energies of the two objects in contact will equal the final energy of the system, which can be used to calculate the final temperature.

3. What factors affect thermal equilibrium?

The factors that affect thermal equilibrium include the initial temperatures of the two objects, the materials they are made of, and the rate of heat transfer between them. Other factors such as external heat sources or the presence of insulation can also affect thermal equilibrium.

4. How does thermal equilibrium relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

Thermal equilibrium is a concept that is closely related to the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. The second law states that heat will naturally flow from a higher temperature to a lower temperature until thermal equilibrium is reached.

5. Can thermal equilibrium be achieved in an isolated system?

In an isolated system, there is no external source of heat or energy. In this case, thermal equilibrium cannot be achieved as there is no way for heat to be transferred between the objects. However, if the system is not completely isolated and there is a way for heat to be transferred, then thermal equilibrium can be reached.