Thermal Conductivity and Boundry Layer

In summary, the conversation discusses the thermal conductivity of water, with a value of .1455 cal/sec/meter * Celsius, and how it can be used to calculate the time it takes for 100 grams of ice to melt (with 8000 calories absorbed) at a given temperature and initial surface area. The two questions raised are about the boundary layer thickness and whether to use the initial or final surface area in the calculation. The experiment conducted yielded a melting time of 6 minutes, which closely aligns with the calculated time using the formula Q/t = k*A delta T/ x. The thickness of the boundary layer was found to be .002 M, and the surface area of the ice was .01224 M^2
morrobay
Gold Member
Thermal Conductivity , k , for water is .1455 cal/sec/ meter * C ( converted watts to cal/sec)
Q/t = k* A delta T/ d
A= area M2
d = thickness of water/ice boundary layer
Suppose I want to calculate time for 100 grams of ice to melt ( 8000 calories absorbed
from surroundings by conduction.
I have delta T and initial surface area of ice/water interface .
Two questions : What would be the boundary layer thickness. d
And in the case that the surface area, A, is decreasing as the ice melts is it correct to
use just the initial surface area in the calculation ?
My reasoning on the area is that it would actually be : Integral A(initial) - A(final) and
A(final ) = 0

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
morrobay said:
Thermal Conductivity , k , for water is .1455 cal/sec/ meter * C ( converted watts to cal/sec)
Q/t = k* A delta T/ d
A= area M2
d = thickness of water/ice boundary layer
Suppose I want to calculate time for 100 grams of ice to melt ( 8000 calories absorbed
from surroundings by conduction.
I have delta T and initial surface area of ice/water interface .
Two questions : What would be the boundary layer thickness. d
And in the case that the surface area, A, is decreasing as the ice melts is it correct to
use just the initial surface area in the calculation ?
My reasoning on the area is that it would actually be : Integral A(initial) - A(final) and
A(final ) = 0

I just did this experiment with 100 cc ice in 1 liter water at 30 deg C , 30000 cal
so final temp 22000 cal /1100 gram water = 20 C , melting time was 6 minutes
In close agreement with Q/t = k*A delta T/ x
x = thickness of boundary layer between ice and water = .002 M
Reference Journal Physical Oceanography
A= surface area 100 cc ice cylinder = .01224 M^2
delta t = 30 deg
k, thermal conductivity water = .1455 cal/sec/Meter * Kelvin
So, Q/t = .1455 cal/sec/M*T ( 30 C) (.01224 M^2) / .002 M = 26.5 cal/sec
8000 cal/ 26.5cal/sec = 301 sec. = 5 min

Last edited:

Related to Thermal Conductivity and Boundry Layer

What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is the rate at which heat energy is transferred through a material per unit of length, when there is a temperature difference across the material.

How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured in watts per meter-kelvin (W/m·K) or joules per second-meter-kelvin (J/s·m·K). It can be measured using various techniques such as the hot wire method, guarded hot plate method, or transient plane source method.

What is the boundary layer?

The boundary layer is a thin layer of fluid near a solid surface where the fluid's velocity changes from zero at the surface to the free stream velocity away from the surface. It is an important concept in fluid dynamics and plays a crucial role in heat transfer processes.

How does the boundary layer affect thermal conductivity?

The boundary layer affects thermal conductivity by creating a thermal resistance between the solid surface and the fluid. This resistance decreases the rate of heat transfer between the two, resulting in a lower thermal conductivity for the system.

What factors affect thermal conductivity and boundary layer?

The thermal conductivity and boundary layer are affected by several factors, including the properties of the material, temperature, pressure, and flow velocity. Other factors such as surface roughness, viscosity, and boundary conditions also play a role in determining thermal conductivity and boundary layer characteristics.