There is no such thing as empty space in an atom. True?

In summary, the concept of empty space in an atom is not as simple as it seems. While the Bohr model may suggest that the atom is mostly empty space, the current understanding is that electrons exist in a "cloud" rather than a circular orbital. There is also a new theory that suggests this space is not empty at all, but filled with plank strings that may carry information. However, this concept is still being studied and is not fully understood. Additionally, the idea of empty space can vary depending on the observer and can be influenced by factors such as the Casimir and Unruh effects.
magnusrobot12
There is no such thing as empty space in an atom. String Theory Amendum

Another question that bothers me. We are taught that the atom is mostly empty space and I understand Bohr's atom and the concept of quantum. No problem. However, there is a movement in physics that states the "empty space" is not really empty, that it contains plank strings with information. Is this true? Can anyone help me with this idea? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Well the Bohr model is correct only in that electrons have energy states, but not in the circular orbital sense. It is now understood to represnt a "cloud" of electrons. I have never heard of plank strings before, but I am just beginning in atomic structure. I hope some one else can shed more information on this.

Joe

are these plank strings matter?

I do not think the plank strings have mass or else the atom would have infinite mass i suppose. the point is that we are taught that there is 99.9999999999% empty space in an atom because of the quantum orbitals that electron travels. There is a new thought that the space is not empty at all, that it contain strings the size of plank length. And there are a hell of a lot of strings. These strings may carry information but i do not even know what the hell that means either. The atom is probably empty after all.

magnusrobot12 said:
Another question that bothers me. We are taught that the atom is mostly empty space and I understand Bohr's atom and the concept of quantum. No problem. However, there is a movement in physics that states the "empty space" is not really empty, that it contains plank strings with information. Is this true? Can anyone help me with this idea? Thank you in advance.

The concept of "empty space" is quite complicated.

2 important examples:

1. If we consider empty space 'empty', then between 2 Casimir plates space is even emptier!
Check Casimir effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

2. If space is empty for me, it can be not empty for you (for another observer). Different observers can disagree on the fact that space is empty or not, and on the number of the partricles they observe!
Check Unruh effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unruh_effect

Related to There is no such thing as empty space in an atom. True?

1. What is an atom?

An atom is the basic unit of a chemical element, consisting of a nucleus containing protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons.

2. Is there really no empty space in an atom?

No, there is no such thing as empty space in an atom. The space within an atom is filled with a cloud of electrons, which are constantly moving and occupying every possible space within the atom.

3. Why do we often think of atoms as being mostly empty space?

This misconception comes from the fact that the nucleus of an atom is much smaller than the electron cloud. The electrons are constantly moving and are not confined to a specific orbit, making it seem like there is a lot of empty space within the atom.

4. How do we know that there is no empty space in an atom?

Scientists have conducted numerous experiments and observations, such as the Rutherford gold foil experiment, that have shown the presence of electrons and their distribution within the atom. Additionally, advancements in technology, such as scanning tunneling microscopes, have allowed us to directly observe the electron cloud within atoms.

5. Does the lack of empty space in an atom have any practical implications?

Yes, understanding the true nature of atoms and their lack of empty space has led to advancements in various fields, such as materials science and nanotechnology. It has also helped us better understand the properties and behavior of matter on a microscopic level.