What atoms are we made of, how much is from the big bang?

In summary: Based on the amount of lithium in the Earth's crust, it is thought that most of the lithium in the universe was made in the early universe.
cmb
TL;DR Summary
Where do all our atoms originate?
I was thinking about deuterium and that it is not made in stars (too reactive/unstable) and not made in super nova as far as I understand, so I am presuming all of it was made in the first few minutes of the universe and has been with us ever since as it comes from no-where else I am aware of.

Is that true?

Based on that, and that the water in us contains an amount of deuterium, it means some of our atoms were made in that small space that was the first few minutes of the big bang when the average energy was enough to fuse protons, just before it cooled off too far that the proton fusion stopped.

It seems a sobering thought to me.

Most of the rest of our atoms as we know is then down to those made in previous supernovas and reaccumulated into the substances of the solar system.

What I was pondering was; is there any way to determine the percentages of our constituent atoms by their origin?;
What percentage of our atoms is Big-Bang-primordial?
How many supernovas provided the rest of our atoms?
Are there any atoms from any other origin, such as terrestrial natural nuclear decay, or cosmogenic activity in the upper atmosphere?

I'm not thinking that any degree of precision can be achieved in the above discussion, and of course ultimately all the material we are made of (whether or not its remained in the same atomic state) has derived from "time zero", but I thought a discussion about the qualitative aspects of the locations where our atoms gained their current form might be interesting.

Space news on Phys.org
cmb said:
Summary:: Where do all our atoms originate?

I was thinking about deuterium and that it is not made in stars (too reactive/unstable) and not made in super nova as far as I understand, so I am presuming all of it was made in the first few minutes of the universe and has been with us ever since as it comes from no-where else I am aware of.

Is that true?

Based on that, and that the water in us contains an amount of deuterium, it means some of our atoms were made in that small space that was the first few minutes of the big bang when the average energy was enough to fuse protons, just before it cooled off too far that the proton fusion stopped.

It seems a sobering thought to me.

Most of the rest of our atoms as we know is then down to those made in previous supernovas and reaccumulated into the substances of the solar system.

What I was pondering was; is there any way to determine the percentages of our constituent atoms by their origin?;
What percentage of our atoms is Big-Bang-primordial?
How many supernovas provided the rest of our atoms?
Are there any atoms from any other origin, such as terrestrial natural nuclear decay, or cosmogenic activity in the upper atmosphere?

I'm not thinking that any degree of precision can be achieved in the above discussion, and of course ultimately all the material we are made of (whether or not its remained in the same atomic state) has derived from "time zero", but I thought a discussion about the qualitative aspects of the locations where our atoms gained their current form might be interesting.
You have been a member for longer than me, lots of stuff on the net.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

A pop science book by Weinberg "The first 3 minutes"

Im thinking @Ibix @PeroK can point you in a better direction

Last edited:
What about Lithium?

What are atoms and what are we made of?

Atoms are the basic building blocks of matter. They are made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons. We are made up of atoms, which are organized into molecules, cells, tissues, and organs.

What is the origin of atoms in the universe?

The majority of atoms in the universe were created during the Big Bang, which occurred approximately 13.8 billion years ago. During this event, the universe rapidly expanded and cooled, allowing for the formation of protons, neutrons, and electrons.

How much of our atoms are from the Big Bang?

The exact amount of atoms that originated from the Big Bang is difficult to determine. However, scientists estimate that 90% of the atoms in the universe are hydrogen, which was created during the Big Bang. Other elements, such as helium and lithium, were also created during this event.

Are all atoms in our body from the Big Bang?

No, not all atoms in our body originated from the Big Bang. Some elements, such as carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen, were created through nuclear fusion in stars. These elements were then dispersed into the universe through supernova explosions and eventually became part of the atoms in our bodies.

How do we know that the atoms in our body are from the Big Bang?

Scientists can determine the origin of atoms by studying their chemical composition and comparing it to the known elements created during the Big Bang. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the Big Bang, provides evidence for the creation of atoms during this event.