There HAS to be a mistake in this question (simple vectors question) please look

In summary, the problem involves calculating the forces Q and F when the combined force R is 550 [N]. The image provided shows that the arrow for R is in the wrong direction, and according to the given answers, Q is 568.58 [N] and F is 197.47 [N]. However, there is confusion about Q being greater than the combined vector. It is mentioned that the name of the user who posed the question was changed from Dory to Femme_physics. The mistake in the question is pointed out to be a typo, where the value should be 500 instead of 550.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Force R that acts on point O, is the combined force of two forces: Q that's applied horizontally, and F, whose line of action is along OB. (I think it ought to be an arrow there instead of a line)... Calculate Q and F, if R is 550 [N]

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/705/38305098.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, as you can see, R - the combined vector, is not pointing where it should! That doesn't make sense.

In addition, according to the answers

Q = 568.58 [N]
F = 197.47 [N]

How can Q be greater than the combined vector if they're not opposite to each other?

-Femme_physics (formerly Dory)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Sorry, I fixed the image now

Ah I see it for myself now.. it acts ALONG OB, the arrow is actually reverse from the drawn line...

Trying to solve for the question at hand...no result I get is the correct result... :(

What am I doing wrong? I tried 3 different triangles and none of them work!

Attachments

• 900.jpg
    900.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 446
Hi Femme_physics! :smile:

Why did you change your name?

(It wasn't something I said, was it?)
Femme_physics said:
What am I doing wrong?

Nothing … the whole universe is against you! :redface:

The question should say 500, not 550. :biggrin:

(I checked using the sine rule)

Ah...w00t! :) So there IS a mistake!

(It wasn't something I said, was it?)

Yes! Yes it was! But, it just reinforced my feelings that Dory can be construed as a MALE name as opposed to female... so I changed it... on second thought I should've went with Dora, but I don't want to drive the mods here crazy so I'll leave it as is...thanks tim!

Related to There HAS to be a mistake in this question (simple vectors question) please look

1. What is the definition of a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It can be represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

2. How do you add two vectors together?

To add two vectors, you must add their components separately. This can be done either graphically or using mathematical equations. Simply add the x-components together and then the y-components together to get the resultant vector.

3. Can vectors be negative?

Yes, vectors can be negative. This means that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive version of the vector. For example, if a vector has a magnitude of 5 and a direction of 45 degrees, its negative version would have a magnitude of -5 and a direction of 225 degrees.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars can be added or subtracted using simple arithmetic, while vectors require more complex methods such as graphical or mathematical addition.

5. How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used to represent forces, velocities, and other physical quantities. Vectors are also used in computer graphics, navigation systems, and other technological applications.