Optimizing Electrostatics Question: Minimizing Force on Particle 3

In summary, the question asks for the coordinate at which particle 3 should be placed between fixed particles 1 and 2 with charges +e and -27e respectively, in order to minimize the net electrostatic force on it. The equation F=kqq/r^2 is used, with x being the coordinate of particle 3. The function f(x) = 1/x^2 + 27/(L-x)^2 is minimized to find the desired coordinate.
RoyalFlush100

Homework Statement

In the figure particles 1 and 2 are fixed in place on an x axis, at a separation of L = 7.30 cm. Their charges are q1 = +e and q2 = -27e. Particle 3 with charge q3 = +3e is to be placed on the line between particles 1 and 2, so that they produce a net electrostatic force on it.
At what coordinate should particle 3 be placed to minimize the magnitude of that force?

The figure shows particle 1 at x=0 and particle 2 at x=7.30 cm.

Homework Equations

F=kqq/r^2
Setting x equal to the x coordinate where q3 would be.

The Attempt at a Solution

F = k3e^2(x^-2+[27]/[L^2 - 2Lx + x^2]) (factored out k, q3 [3e], and then e from the two charges)
So from here you want to find the critical points. So I took the derivative and set it equal to 0 (also got rid of 3ke^2):
0 = -2x^-3 + (0 - 27[-2L+2x])/(L^2 - 2Lx + x^2)^2
I rearranged it to this (assuming I made no mistakes):
0 = x^-3 * [56x^4 - (62L)x^3 + (12L^2)x^2 - (8L^3)x + 2L^4]
I have no idea how to solve for x in this case and we're not permitted graphing calculators, so how would you attempt this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend not squaring out the ##(L-x)^2## in the denominator of the second force. Thus, you want to minimize the function ##f(x) = \frac{1}{x^2} + \frac{27}{(L-x)^2}##.

Thanks, now I got it.

Related to Optimizing Electrostatics Question: Minimizing Force on Particle 3

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of stationary electric charges and the forces they produce. It is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of electrically charged particles at rest.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around a charged object where an electric force can be detected. It is created by the presence of electric charges and can exert a force on other charged objects.

3. How do electric charges interact?

Electric charges interact through the electric force, which can be attractive or repulsive depending on the charges. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

4. What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow freely, while insulators are materials that do not allow charges to flow. This is due to the difference in the number of free electrons in each material.

5. How is electrostatics used in everyday life?

Electrostatics has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in the operation of electronic devices, generators, and motors. It is also used in air filters, paint sprayers, and photocopiers. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in the study of lightning and the behavior of clouds.