Forces on an object being run over?

• Thread starter andy_padgett
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, Andy is working on a Finite Element Analysis for a new 'Stinger' device designed to stop police pursuits. He is trying to calculate the impact force on the device when placed in the road and is considering factors such as the weight of the car and the design's profile. He is seeking help and suggestions to improve the accuracy of his calculations.
andy_padgett
Hello All,

I'm currently trying to complete a Finite Element Analysis of a design i have made at uni.
Put simply I have designed a new 'Stinger' type device for the police to use to stop pursuits with.
I am trying to calculate the force that will be placed on my design when placed in the road and run over by cars etc.. - Obviously it must be strong enough to withstand these forces.
The profile of the design is triangular, 35mm high and 75mm wide, with pretty much a 45 degree angle.
I have tried to work out the force using basic impact equations, but obviously the force will not be hitting the object head on e.g. only the bottom 35mm of the tyre will hit it, the profile of the object will have some effect, etc..
Is there any way to make this more accurate?

With my calculations the impact force is about 2000N at a speed of 60mph.
This does not take into account the weight of the car, should i add 1/4 of this to the impact force (to account for the 4 wheels) to get the final force so i can complete the FEA?

Any help or pointers would be very appreciated!

Many thanks,

Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Andy,

It sounds like you are trying to do a difficult calculation and I am sure you will appreciate any help you can get. The impact force that you are calculating is just an estimate and it might be useful to utilize a finite element analysis to work out the actual force on your design when it is placed in the road. You could also consider other factors such as the weight of the car and the profile of the object that could affect the force. It might make sense to add 1/4 of the weight of the car to the impact force in order to get a more accurate result. Good luck with your project and I hope you find a solution.

Hello Andy,

It sounds like you are working on a very interesting project! When it comes to calculating forces on an object being run over, there are a few different factors to consider. One important factor is the distribution of the force on the object. As you mentioned, the force will not be hitting the object head on, so it's important to take into account the angle of impact and the surface area of the object that will be in contact with the car. This will affect the magnitude and direction of the force on your design.

Another factor to consider is the weight of the car. As you mentioned, adding 1/4 of the car's weight to the impact force could be a good estimate to account for the weight of all four wheels. However, the weight distribution of the car can also play a role in the force exerted on your design. For example, a heavier car with more weight concentrated on the front wheels may exert more force on your design compared to a lighter car with more weight on the back wheels.

In terms of making your calculations more accurate, you may want to consider using more advanced equations or simulations, such as Finite Element Analysis, to take into account all the different factors at play. You can also consult with a mechanical engineer or an expert in FEA to get a more accurate estimate of the forces on your design.

Overall, it's important to consider all the different factors and variables that can affect the forces on your design when being run over by a car. Good luck with your project!

1. What are the different types of forces that act on an object being run over?

The two main types of forces that act on an object being run over are contact forces and non-contact forces. Contact forces are forces that require direct contact between the object and another object, such as the force from the ground pushing up on a car tire. Non-contact forces are forces that act over a distance, such as gravity pulling down on the car.

2. How do these forces affect the object being run over?

The forces acting on an object being run over can affect it in various ways. Contact forces can cause the object to deform or break, while non-contact forces can cause the object to accelerate or decelerate depending on the direction of the force.

3. What factors can influence the magnitude of these forces?

The magnitude of the forces on an object being run over can be influenced by factors such as the weight of the object, the speed at which it is being run over, and the surface it is being run over. The weight and speed of the object can determine the force of impact, while the type of surface can affect the frictional forces acting on the object.

4. How can we calculate the forces on an object being run over?

The forces on an object being run over can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and other relevant equations. For example, the force of impact can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. The frictional forces can be calculated using the formula F=uN, where u is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force.

5. How can we minimize the impact of forces on an object being run over?

To minimize the impact of forces on an object being run over, we can take measures such as reducing the speed at which the object is being run over, using shock-absorbing materials, or designing the object to be more resistant to forces. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspection of the object can help identify and address any potential issues that may increase the impact of forces on it.