Compressive force between objects

• Thread starter Swalker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discussed the forces and compression between two objects of different masses on a platform, connected by a rigid load cell. The press applies force to one object and a horizontal force is applied to the other. The question was whether the compression forces between the objects are equal and how the applied forces affect this. The conclusion was that as long as the press moves slowly, the compression force remains the same and the object with the smaller force will eventually move. Your feedback was greatly appreciated.
Swalker
This is something I’ve been pondering for sometime and I’m looking to develop a better conceptual understanding so I look forward to any feedback that you can provide.

I have attached a drawing for clarity and a text description follows.

- Two objects of mass M1 and M2 are on a platform.
- Each object has a unique coefficient of friction (between the platform)
- The objects are physically connected to one another by a rigid load cell at location 2.
- The press moves in the x direction with a sinusoidal profile and it only moves for a -limited distance and it moves very slowly.
- The press applies force to M1 through a rigid load cell at location 1.
- A horizontal force is applied to M2 through a rigid load cell at location 3.
- The force F2 is significantly higher than any resistance imposed by frictional forces.
- The press readily moves the blocks and easily overcomes F2, drag, etc..

What I’m interested in discussing is:
1) Since the blocks are under compression are the forces at each of the load cells equal?
2) At one point the press goes against F2 and at another point they work together. How does that impact the relative values of the forces measured by each load cell?
Keep in mind the press moves very slowly. So, I’m simply wondering if the compressive forces between the blocks are equal even through the value of the forces vary.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• press.JPG
    press.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
The way I see it, the compression force is the same for both objects and, for as long as things are moving very very slowly and the press practically overcomes everything else, and effectively behaves like a wall...the compression force is simply F2 because is the smaller of the two forces...in other words, no matter how high the press pushes, things will stop compressing when the press force equals F2 and the object the produces F2 can no longer hold things in place and start moving back.

my 2 cents

Thanks for the feedback. You're thinking is along the same lines as mine. The system is under constant compression as long as the horizontal rate of change you of the press is slower than the acceleration that could arise front the applied force. Thanks for your feedback.

Related to Compressive force between objects

1. What is compressive force?

Compressive force is a type of force that acts on an object in a direction that causes the object to become shorter or more compact. It is the force that pushes or squeezes an object together.

2. How is compressive force calculated?

Compressive force is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the object. The unit of measurement for compressive force is Newtons (N).

3. What are some examples of compressive force in everyday life?

Some examples of compressive force in everyday life include pushing a door closed, sitting on a chair, and squeezing a sponge. It is also present in structures such as bridges, buildings, and furniture.

4. How does compressive force affect different materials?

Compressive force can cause different materials to behave differently. For example, a strong material like steel can withstand high compressive forces without breaking, while a weaker material like foam will compress and deform under the same amount of force.

5. What are the potential dangers of excessive compressive force?

Excessive compressive force can lead to structural failure, causing objects to collapse or break. It can also cause injuries to living organisms, such as bone fractures or organ damage. It is important to consider and properly manage compressive forces in engineering and construction to ensure the safety and stability of structures.