Theories predicting electron mass

In summary, there is a debate surrounding the mass of the electron and some theories suggest that the mass of the electron neutrino is 1/240 of an electron. However, this theory has been disproven by data as a neutrino of that mass would have been detected by now.
Ashwin_Kumar
Electron mass is a debated topic, and i was just asking if anyone could suggest a few theories about the electron mass and perhaps i could try and derive my own. Thanks alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
The worst I've ever seen was a quadratic equation whose roots were allegedly the masses of the electron and proton. I'm sure you can do better than that!

I'm particularly interested in the Koide mass formula thing, but so far i haven't heard any which are particularly good. Some are crazy, saying a neutron is 1/240 of an electron! What a joke!

I wasn't aware that the mass of an electron was under debate. Why is that? I thought it was accurately measured already.

No, the mass of the electron is not under debate, the mass of the neutrino is. I just mentioned that some theories state that the mass of the neutrino is 1/240 of an electron. This is crazy because if a neutrino was that heavy it would have been detected by now.

Ok, so far we have Electron, Neutron, and Neutrino thrown around in this thread. Which one are we talking about? I'm pretty sure its NOT an electron or a neutron, so I'm going to guess a Neutrino.

Oh crap i meant electron neutrino. What a stupid mistake. pfft.

Ashwin_Kumar said:
I just mentioned that some theories state that the mass of the neutrino is 1/240 of an electron. This is crazy because if a neutrino was that heavy it would have been detected by now.

That's correct. Such a theory is excluded by data.

Related to Theories predicting electron mass

1. What are theories predicting electron mass?

Theories predicting electron mass are scientific explanations that attempt to describe the physical properties and behavior of electrons, specifically their mass. These theories are based on mathematical equations and experimental evidence, and are constantly being refined and tested through research.

2. Why is the prediction of electron mass important?

The prediction of electron mass is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and how they interact. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and materials.

3. How do scientists predict the mass of an electron?

Scientists use various theoretical models, such as the Standard Model of particle physics, to predict the mass of an electron. These models are based on mathematical equations and principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any current theories that accurately predict the mass of an electron?

Yes, the currently accepted theory for predicting the mass of an electron is the Standard Model of particle physics. This theory has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately predict the mass of the electron.

5. Can the predicted mass of an electron change over time?

The predicted mass of an electron can change over time as new evidence and theories emerge. This is a normal part of the scientific process as scientists continue to refine and improve our understanding of the universe.