Theoretical Physics: Learning to make simple mathematical statements

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of making simple physical and mathematical statements in theoretical physics and seeking advice on how to improve this skill. The suggestion is made to consider equations as sentences with the verb "is" and only write statements that are known to be true. The importance of starting with known general truths and making sure to not make any leaps of physical and mathematical logic is also highlighted. It is noted that in cases where there are no established general truths, experimentation may be necessary before proposing them.
WWCY
Hi all,

I am currently involved in a theoretical physics project and would like some advice. One of the main takeaways I hope to (well,) take away is the capacity to make simple physical/mathematical statements that are valid, which seems to be an important part of theoretical physics. How do you "learn" to do this?

Whenever I try to make a simple mathematical statement, I always happen upon two problems; a) I don't know how to convert my question into mathematics and b) When I do manage to write down the statement, and go through with the proof, I never where in my proof have I made faulty assumptions/leaps of physical and mathematical logic.

While the standard answer I tend to be given is to keep trying and making mistakes as it all comes with experience, is there any better way of getting experience than to just take blind stabs in the dark? I do wish to pursue research as a career, and it'd be nice to pick up such a skill before I start postgrad studies.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be helpful to consider your equations as sentences for which the verb (in all cases) is "is." Thus when you write
A = B
you are making the statement "the quantity A is the same thing as the quantity B." The only statements you are allowed to write are those that you know to be true.

Thanks for your response!

Dr.D said:
It might be helpful to consider your equations as sentences for which the verb (in all cases) is "is." Thus when you write
A = B
you are making the statement "the quantity A is the same thing as the quantity B." The only statements you are allowed to write are those that you know to be true.

However, much of the time it's what comes before writing these equations that gives me grief. Sometimes before writing down the "starting" equation, I need to make some assumptions of the physics behind the problem. So for instance, I would have to say "Consider phenomenon ##X##, which can be described by ##A_X = B##" yet I can never know for sure if ##X## is indeed described (or most accurately described) by ##A_X##. Are there any guiding questions I can ask myself to make sure I'm not making any leaps of physical/mathematical logic?

If you are trying to describe a mechanics problem, the place to start is probably Newton's Laws (or the Lagrange equations, etc). For that problem, it is unlikely that you will need Maxwell's equations. Similarly, if you want to deal with an optics problem, Newton's Law probably will not be needed. And so on.

My point in the previous paragraph is that we attempt to apply known, general truths, to each new situation. We choose those truths from the ones known to be applicable to the class of problems we are considering.

There is also a corollary to this. If the problem of interest falls outside all classes for which we have established general truth statements, then we are exploring what (at least for us) is new phenomena. All bets are off, and we should probably seek to move ahead via an experiment or two. Later, we may attempt to propose the general truth statements, after we have some experimental evidence for them.

Likes WWCY

Related to Theoretical Physics: Learning to make simple mathematical statements

1. What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and principles to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It is concerned with understanding the fundamental laws of nature and how they govern the behavior of matter and energy.

2. What are the key concepts in theoretical physics?

The key concepts in theoretical physics include mathematical models, equations, principles of symmetry and conservation, and the fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong and weak nuclear forces).

3. How is mathematical language used in theoretical physics?

Mathematical language is essential in theoretical physics as it allows us to express complex physical concepts and relationships in a precise and concise manner. It provides a universal language that can be used to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems.

4. What is the importance of learning to make simple mathematical statements in theoretical physics?

Learning to make simple mathematical statements is crucial in theoretical physics as it allows us to break down complex physical problems into simpler, more manageable parts. It also helps us to develop a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and concepts in physics.

5. How can one improve their skills in making simple mathematical statements in theoretical physics?

Improving skills in making simple mathematical statements in theoretical physics requires practice and a strong foundation in mathematics. It is also important to develop a deep understanding of the physical concepts and principles involved, as well as being able to apply mathematical techniques and models to real-world problems.