Theoretical/non-tedious question about power series solution of y'' + y = 0

Where the coefficients ##c_n## are determined by the differential equation and initial conditions. This series will converge for all ##x## in some interval around ##a##. And yes, the answer holds for complex numbers as well.
s3a
1. "Homework Statement
Find a recurrence formula for the power series solution around x = 0 for the differential equation given in the previous problem."

The previous problem says:
"Determine whether x = 0 is an ordinary point of the differential equation y'' + y = 0."

Homework Equations

Power series and related stuff.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solutions for both of these problems and I also know how to do them both. My question is just:

If x = 0 was not an ordinary point, what would that mean? Would that mean that I cannot assume a power series solution of the form y = [n=0 to inf] Σ[a_n (x - x_0)^n] (where x_0 = 0 in this case) exists or what?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:
1. "Homework Statement
Find a recurrence formula for the power series solution around x = 0 for the differential equation given in the previous problem."

The previous problem says:
"Determine whether x = 0 is an ordinary point of the differential equation y'' + y = 0."

Homework Equations

Power series and related stuff.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solutions for both of these problems and I also know how to do them both. My question is just:

If x = 0 was not an ordinary point, what would that mean? Would that mean that I cannot assume a power series solution of the form y = [n=0 to inf] Σ[a_n (x - x_0)^n] (where x_0 = 0 in this case) exists or what?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

If ##x=0## is a regular singular point, your series has to look like$$
\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^{n+r}$$

Thanks for your answer. I have a bit more to ask though.

It seems that I can assume there exists a solution y = Σ from n = 0 to inf of a_n * x^n if x = 0 is an ordinary point. I asked what would happen if x = 0 were not an ordinary point and your answer was good for me but now I want to know what if the question asked me to find the power series solution about x = {any one chosen finite real} and if x = {that same one chosen finite real} is an ordinary point, then would that still mean that a solution of the form y = Σ from n = 0 to inf of a_n * x^n exists?

Also does it have to strictly be a real? I'm not looking to go too deep because my course doesn't require it but I just want to know if the answer is a yes or no since I plan to study this further for fun when I am done school.

s3a said:
Thanks for your answer. I have a bit more to ask though.

It seems that I can assume there exists a solution y = Σ from n = 0 to inf of a_n * x^n if x = 0 is an ordinary point. I asked what would happen if x = 0 were not an ordinary point and your answer was good for me but now I want to know what if the question asked me to find the power series solution about x = {any one chosen finite real} and if x = {that same one chosen finite real} is an ordinary point, then would that still mean that a solution of the form y = Σ from n = 0 to inf of a_n * x^n exists?

Also does it have to strictly be a real? I'm not looking to go too deep because my course doesn't require it but I just want to know if the answer is a yes or no since I plan to study this further for fun when I am done school.

If ##x=a## is an ordinary point and you want the expansion around that point, you would use a Taylor series centered at ##a##:$$
y=\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_n(x-a)^n$$

Related to Theoretical/non-tedious question about power series solution of y'' + y = 0

1. What is a power series solution?

A power series solution is a method used to solve differential equations by expressing the solution as an infinite series of powers of a variable.

2. How is a power series solution used in solving differential equations?

A power series solution is used by substituting the series into the differential equation and solving for the coefficients of each term.

3. What is the advantage of using a power series solution?

The advantage of using a power series solution is that it can provide an accurate solution for a wide range of initial conditions, even for complex differential equations.

4. What are the limitations of a power series solution?

One limitation of a power series solution is that it may not converge for all initial conditions, making it difficult to determine the full solution.

5. Can a power series solution be used for non-linear differential equations?

Yes, a power series solution can be used for non-linear differential equations, but it may require more terms in the series to accurately represent the solution.