Theoretical Math: Proving an injection when it's countably infinite.

In summary, an injection from A to B and a countably infinite set A leads to B being countably infinite. If A is uncountable and there is an injection from B to A, then B must also be countably infinite.
mmilton

Homework Statement

Let f: A --> B be an injection and suppose that the set A is countably infinite; how can I prove that there is an injection from B to A if and only if B is countably infinite?

Also, if we would suppose that A is uncountable, can B be countable?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I have thus far,

First direction:
Suppose B is countably infinite. Then, by definition, there is a
bijection from B to the naturals. Since A is also countably infinite, there is a bijection
from A to the naturals, and hence a bijection between B and A (and hence injection from B to A).

Next direction:
First show that since f is an injection of a countably infinite set to B, then B must be infinite.
Now, if there is an injection from B to A, then there is a bijection from B to a subset of A, call this subset S. So B and S have the same cardinality. But any infinite subset S of a countably infinite set A is countably infinite, so B has the same cardinality as a countably infinite set S.

Physics news on Phys.org
For your first direction, I would say instead that since A and B can be put into a 1-1 correspondence with [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] we can map the first element of B which is mapped to 1 to the element in A which is mapped to 1 and so forth. Hence we have an injective map from B to A. You don't need bijection since you are only asked about injection.

We are given f is injective from A to B, [itex]A\mapsto\mathbb{N}[/itex] i.e. A is countable infinite, and g:B->A is injective. So since f is injective every element of A maps to an element of B. However, there could be more elements in B but we have that g is also injective so every element of B maps to an element of A and A is countable infinite so B must be what?

I think these are pretty much just straight forward. I don't think you need to worry about a subset for the second one.

Related to Theoretical Math: Proving an injection when it's countably infinite.

1. What is an injection in theoretical math?

An injection is a function in theoretical math that maps each element of one set to a unique element in another set. This means that for every input in the first set, there is only one output in the second set.

2. How is an injection proven in theoretical math?

To prove an injection, you must show that for every element in the second set, there is only one element in the first set that maps to it. This can be done by using a direct proof or a proof by contradiction.

3. What does it mean for an injection to be countably infinite?

An injection is countably infinite if it maps an infinite set to another infinite set in a one-to-one manner. This means that both sets have the same cardinality, or number of elements.

4. Why is it important to prove an injection in theoretical math?

Proving an injection is important because it helps establish the relationship between two sets and can be used to prove other theorems and concepts in theoretical math. It also allows for the identification of patterns and structures within sets.

5. What are some examples of countably infinite sets?

Some examples of countably infinite sets include the set of natural numbers, the set of integers, and the set of rational numbers. These sets can be mapped to each other in a one-to-one manner using an injection.