Theorems for exams (in maths).

• Testing
  • Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
In summary, when preparing for math exams that require reproducing theorems from class, it is important to have some level of memorization. This can be achieved by repeatedly writing out the proofs and understanding the key steps and concepts. It is also helpful to remember the rationale behind the proofs and to practice writing them without looking at notes or textbooks. Oral exams may also involve describing concepts and proving them, which can be prepared for by reading the proofs and writing them down with a diagram outlining the structure. With proper preparation and understanding, it is possible to successfully reproduce theorems on math exams.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
there are some exams (if not most of them) in maths that asks you to reproduce a theorem youv'e proved in class.
my question is: do you memorise the way of the proof, and try to write on paper by memory or you try to prove it again without looking at the notes ot textbook? (i mean when you are preparing for the exam).

obviously some kind of memorisation should be used here, do you think it's possible to do this by your own?

i don't think so, i think you need to memorise a lot of times the theorems (or everyday in the preparation time before the exam you should write the proof, i think this is the best way to remember a particular theorem by heart).

ofcourse it also helps to remember the rationale behind the proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
any time I've been asked to write proofs on an exam, it's because there is some key step that we learned that makes the proof trivial (no more than 10-15 lines). But then again I have only taken several proof-based courses, and nothing intensely proof oriented like real analysis or something like that.

Every math course I ever took had two exams : a theory part and a problems part.

The theory part was just that : theory. It was usually an oral exam, and the student is asked to describe a concept, formulate some properties or interesting links with other concepts...and then proof them. My way of doing this was thus :

- READ every bit of the proof. Make sure you understand every small step perfectly, quoting other proofs/lemma's as needed

- With the proof next to you, write it down. You'll be surprised how it changes your perspective compared to just reading it.

- Make a small diagram outlining the structure of the proof. Try to formulate the basic ideas in plain English "We want to show that, so we need to formulate it as, we can then use the properties proven in..."

You should now be able to reproduce the whole proof by yourself. If it doesn't work, repeat the steps above till it does. This allowed me to survive everything, including the 200+ proofs functional analysis course from hell in my last year undergraduate.

Related to Theorems for exams (in maths).

1. What are theorems for exams?

Theorems for exams are mathematical statements that have been proven to be true and are commonly used in exams to solve problems or prove other theorems. They serve as a set of rules or principles that students can use to solve mathematical problems.

2. How are theorems for exams different from other theorems?

Theorems for exams are specifically chosen because they are commonly used in exams and are important for students to know. They are usually simpler and more fundamental than other theorems, making them easier to apply in a shorter amount of time.

3. Are theorems for exams the same for all levels of math?

No, theorems for exams vary depending on the level of math being tested. For example, theorems used in high school algebra exams will be different from those used in college calculus exams. It is important for students to know which theorems are relevant for their specific exam.

4. How should I study theorems for exams?

The best way to study theorems for exams is by understanding the proofs behind them. This will not only help you remember the theorems better, but also allow you to apply them to different types of problems. It is also helpful to practice solving problems using theorems to improve your understanding and speed.

5. Can I use theorems for exams in real life?

Absolutely! Theorems for exams are not just useful for passing exams, but also have real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They can help you solve various problems and make accurate calculations in everyday life.