The Weinberg-Salam Theory to Group Theory Literature Online

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a good book on group theory to help them understand the Weinberg-Salam theory of weak and electromagnetic interactions. Suggestions are made for books, including "Groups, Representations, and Physics" by H. F. Jones and "Gauge Theories in Particle Physics Volume I and II" by I. J. R Aitchison and A. J. R. Hey. The person also offers to send links and pdfs to the person asking for recommendations.
Mesmerized
Hi all! I want to learn the Weinberg-Salam theory of weak and el.mag. interactions and for that a good knowledge of group theory is required. Can someone advise a good book from internet about Group Theory? Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. this is my first post on this site, I hope I put the question in the right place

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

What is your background in math and physics?

From september I'm starting MA course in theoretical physics. So I have 4 years university education in physics.

I'm sorry, I don't know any downloadable books.

For group theory for physicists, "Groups, Representations, and Physics" by H. F. Jones is okay.

For self-study of introductory quantum field theory, up to and including the Weinberg-Salam model, the two volume set (make sure it's the third edition)

Gauge Theories in Particle Physics Volume I: From Relativistic Quantum Mechanics to QED

Gauge Theories in Particle Physics Volume II: QCD and the Electroweak Theory

by I. J. R Aitchison and A. J. R. Hey is superb and presents the required group theory when needed.

thanks man, just checked those books, seems like they are really great!

Mesmerized said:
thanks man, just checked those books, seems like they are really great!

I know many 'books', but I have the links at my home computer, I am at my office now..

I will post them here when I come home :-)

They are mainly called "Lie Groups for the Standard Model" etc, I have plenty of those.

Also send me a personal message here with your email and I will send you all possible pdf's I have at home.

cheers

Related to The Weinberg-Salam Theory to Group Theory Literature Online

1. What is group theory literature?

Group theory literature refers to a collection of written works and publications that focus on the mathematical study of groups. Groups are a fundamental concept in mathematics that represent a set of objects and a binary operation that combines them. Group theory literature includes textbooks, research papers, and other resources that explore the various properties and applications of groups.

2. What are some common topics covered in group theory literature?

Group theory literature covers a wide range of topics, including group structures, group actions, subgroups, homomorphisms, isomorphisms, and group representations. Other common topics include the classification of groups, group extensions, and the study of particular types of groups such as abelian groups, symmetric groups, and Lie groups.

3. Why is group theory important in mathematics and science?

Group theory has applications in various fields of mathematics and science, including physics, chemistry, and computer science. It provides a framework for understanding the symmetries and patterns present in mathematical and physical systems. Group theory is also essential in the study of abstract algebra and has connections to other areas such as number theory and topology.

4. Are there any famous group theory problems or conjectures?

Yes, there are several famous problems and conjectures in group theory, including the Classification of Finite Simple Groups, the Inverse Galois Problem, and the Burnside Problem. These problems have been a subject of interest and research for many mathematicians over the years, and some of them remain unsolved to this day.

5. How can I learn more about group theory?

There are many resources available for learning about group theory, including textbooks, online courses, and lecture notes. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in abstract algebra before diving into group theory. Additionally, attending seminars and conferences related to group theory can also provide valuable insights and opportunities for learning from experts in the field.