The up side of economic collapse and terrorism

In summary: There was a lot of talk about world government during his time, and I don't think it was just because of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. I think a lot of people saw the potential for big business and political elites to get even more powerful if everyone was working under one banner.In summary, the author believes that the formation of a world government is plausible, but there are risks involved.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have never believed that there is a secret United Nations plot to take over the US. I have never seen black helicopters hovering in the sky above Montana. But, for the first time in my life, I think the formation of some sort of world government is plausible.

A “world government” would involve much more than co-operation between nations. It would be an entity with state-like characteristics, backed by a body of laws. The European Union has already set up a continental government for 27 countries, which could be a model. The EU has a supreme court, a currency, thousands of pages of law, a large civil service and the ability to deploy military force.

So could the European model go global? There are three reasons for thinking that it might.

First, it is increasingly clear that the most difficult issues facing national governments are international in nature: there is global warming, a global financial crisis and a “global war on terror”...
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7a03e5b6-c541-11dd-b516-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1

This is something that Astro and I were talking about recently. I suspect that one ramification of the current economic crisis is that nations are being forced to work together in ways that we've never seen on a global scale. My hope is that we are being forced to find new ways to work together as partners for the common good. And the same applies to the global threat of terrorism - the people of the world have a common enemy.

I'm not a fan of the notion of a world government, but the idea of moving towards a truly global community is in everyone's best interest. We have wasted enough blood and treasure on wars.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree. If it would reduce ethnic conflicts, fund developing nations who are currently struggling with human rights abuses because of what essentially amounts to the wage-slavery early American and British workers discussed (China, Indonesia, Colombia, etc.), and help bring attention to and help solve the ecological crises around the world, I am all for it.

As Thomas Paine said: "The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion."
-- Thomas Paine.

This is true, we are ally really citizens of the world, the world is our country.

I read this yesterday and wasn't sure what to think. It certainly will make conspiracy theorists very happy (or not). But I agree Ivan, country ties are becoming tighter.

Have you guys heard about Unasul or Unasur? The South American countries are attempting a Union similar to that of the EU. Might want to check that out.

I'm not convinced because there is the other side of the coin when it comes to world government:

How will the laws be determined? There is no perfect set of laws. Even the constitution has its flaws.

What if a country doesn't agree with said laws? Will all the other countries coerce it into submission?

Power so centralized has the potential to be a disaster of unheard proportions if it falls into the wrong hands. We all know that not all countries or people have the same agenda. If you look in history you will be amazed at all the different ideas of "spreading goodness" there was.

Just put me in charge, and it'll all be ok.

falc39 said:
...How will the laws be determined? There is no perfect set of laws. Even the constitution has its flaws. What if a country doesn't agree with said laws? Will all the other countries coerce it into submission?.
You could have a set of 'basic human right's' types and whatever other basic laws that can be agreed on.
.. I think it could be done.

falc39 said:
Power so centralized has the potential to be a disaster of unheard proportions if it falls into the wrong hands. We all know that not all countries or people have the same agenda. If you look in history you will be amazed at all the different ideas of "spreading goodness" there was.

See pp 2001-2009, George Walker Bush

1. What is the potential "up side" of an economic collapse and terrorism?

The potential "up side" of an economic collapse and terrorism is that it can lead to a restructuring of systems and institutions that were previously inefficient or corrupt. It can also create opportunities for innovation and growth in industries that were previously stagnant.

2. How can an economic collapse and terrorism have a positive impact on society?

An economic collapse and terrorism can have a positive impact on society by creating a sense of unity and resilience among citizens. It can also lead to a stronger focus on community and helping those in need.

3. Are there any historical examples of positive outcomes from economic collapse and terrorism?

Yes, there are several examples in history where an economic collapse or terrorist attack has ultimately led to positive changes in a society. One example is the Great Depression in the United States, which led to the implementation of social welfare programs and regulations to prevent future economic crises.

4. How can individuals and businesses prepare for the potential "up side" of an economic collapse and terrorism?

Individuals and businesses can prepare for the potential "up side" of an economic collapse and terrorism by diversifying their income and investments, staying informed about current events and market trends, and being adaptable to change. It is also important to have a contingency plan in place in case of unexpected events.

5. What are some potential risks or downsides of an economic collapse and terrorism?

Some potential risks or downsides of an economic collapse and terrorism include loss of jobs and income, disruptions in daily life and supply chains, and an increase in crime and instability. It is important for governments and individuals to address and mitigate these potential risks to ensure a smoother recovery process.