The total derivative and a line segment S

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the chain rule and mean value theorem to show that for a differentiable function f from an open set U into R, if x,y are in U and the segment S is contained in U, then f(y)-f(x)=(Df)_{\xi}(y-x) for some \xi\inS. The individual is seeking guidance on how to proceed with the proof.
Demon117

Homework Statement

Let f be a differentiable function from an open set

[TEX]U\subseteqR^{n}[/TEX] into R. If

[TEX]x,y\inU[/TEX] and the segment [TEX]S={(1-t)x+yt : t\in[0,1]}[/TEX] is contained in U, show that

[TEX]f(y)-f(x)=(Df)_{\xi}(y-x)[/TEX] for some [TEX]\xi\inS[/TEX].

The Attempt at a Solution

The only direction I have is that I need to use the chain rule and the mean value theorem. Beyond that I do not know how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
matumich26 said:

Homework Statement

Let f be a differentiable function from an open set

[TEX]U\subseteqR^{n}[/TEX] into R. If

[TEX]x,y\inU[/TEX] and the segment [TEX]S={(1-t)x+yt : t\in[0,1]}[/TEX] is contained in U, show that

[TEX]f(y)-f(x)=(Df)_{\xi}(y-x)[/TEX] for some [TEX]\xi\inS[/TEX].

The Attempt at a Solution

The only direction I have is that I need to use the chain rule and the mean value theorem. Beyond that I do not know how to proceed.

Totally screwed up the latex code here. Sorry.

Related to The total derivative and a line segment S

1. What is the definition of the total derivative?

The total derivative is a mathematical concept used to represent the rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables. It takes into account the changes in all of the variables, rather than just one, and can be thought of as the slope of the tangent plane to a graph of a function in multiple dimensions.

2. How is the total derivative different from a partial derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. The total derivative, on the other hand, takes into account the changes in all variables and can be thought of as the sum of all partial derivatives.

3. What is the relationship between the total derivative and a line segment S?

The total derivative can be used to find the equation of a tangent line to a curve at a specific point. The line segment S is then a representation of this tangent line, with the total derivative being the slope of this line.

4. How is the total derivative calculated?

The total derivative can be calculated using the gradient vector, which is a vector of partial derivatives. The total derivative is then the dot product of the gradient vector and a vector representing the changes in all variables.

5. In what fields or applications is the concept of the total derivative most commonly used?

The concept of the total derivative is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is particularly useful in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. It is also used in multivariable calculus and differential equations.