The title could be How to Calculate Speed and Velocity in a Bouncing Experiment?

• Thread starter miles johnstone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion Time
In summary, Vinh conducted an experiment to investigate the bouncing ability of a golf ball and a tomato. The objects were dropped from a height of 2.00m and the rebound heights were measured. The golf ball rebounded to 1.50m, while the tomato splattered without rebounding. Questions were asked about the speed and velocity of the objects before and after impact.
miles johnstone
Vinh is investigating the bouncing ability of a golf ball and a tomato. He drops both objects from a height of 2.00m and measures the rebound heights. He found the the golf ball rebounded to 1.50m and the tomato just splattered without rebounding at all.
a) what was the speed of the golf ball jut before it hit the ground?
b) What was the speed of the tomato just before it hit the ground?
c) Calculate the speed of the golf ball ar is rebounded.
d) whitch object had the grater charge in speed as it bounced or splattered? Calculate the speed chande of this object.
e) which of these objects expireanced the greater charge in velicity as it bounced or splattered? Caculate the velocity change of this object.

The whole question I just don't get.

a) a=9.8m/s u=? x=2m t=2
x=vt+1/2at^2
2=uX2+1/2X10Xt^2
2=uX2+5Xt^2
2=uX2+5X4
2=uX2+20
u=2X2+20

u=4+20
u=24
(this answer was suppose to be 6.26m/s. I couldn't figure out how to get that number.)

I've started physics on this level with VERY little math knowledge but I want to study The Universe so I took it as my last year at high school subject.
I don't know how to do these questions very well I get confused and don't feel like making my teacher sit down every spear and going thought it with me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you do question "a" if I edit it to just this...

He drops both objects from a height of 2.00m...a) what was the speed of the golf ball jut before it hit the ground?

miles johnstone said:

a) a=9.8m/s u=? x=2m t=2
x=vt+1/2at^2

It would help if you defined your variables in plain english first

"u" is normally the initial velocity so u=0
"t" is normally time but that's not specified so where did you get t=2 from?

Are you familiar with the SUVAT equations?

Yeah I am, I'm so new at this so I'm still trying to figure all of it out! Thank you for your help!

Ok so question "a" askes for the final velocity (v) and gives you the distance/height (s) and the acceleration (a). You also know the initial velocity (u). Which of the SUVAT equations is most useful in that situation? I would suggest it's not one that needs time (t).

Related to The title could be How to Calculate Speed and Velocity in a Bouncing Experiment?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration different from velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how quickly an object's velocity is changing and in what direction.

3. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. What are some examples of acceleration?

Some common examples of acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going up or down a hill, a person jumping off a diving board, or a baseball being thrown or hit. Any time an object's velocity changes, there is acceleration.

5. How does acceleration relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Acceleration is directly related to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate for a given force.