Projectile Motion - Solving for initial velocity w/o time

In summary, a motorcyclist wants to jump 20 cars placed side-by-side, making the jump 30m long. Assuming the ramp is placed at an angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal, the motorcycle needs an initial velocity of 30m/s to make the jump. If the motorcycle is in contact with the ground for 0.25s, find the average force exerted by the ground on it.
Sungura

Homework Statement

A motorcyclist wants to jump 20 cars placed side-by-side, making the jump 30m long (coming back to the initial height). Assume that the ramp is placed at an angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal.

a. Calculate the initial velocity required to make the jump.

b. Assuming the motorcycle bounces elastically on the ground (rebounding at the same angle and speed), calculate the change in momentum of the motorcycle (mass = 500kg)

c. If the motorcycle is in contact with the ground for 0.25s, find the average force exerted by the ground on it.

Homework Equations

x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at^2
y=y0+v0t−1/2gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure if there are more equations I should be using, but I began with trying to use the x equation to solve for time. I assumed a was zero, since there is no acceleration in the x direction, and that x0 was zero, since we start at the origin. So, ending up with x=v0cosθ*t (Right here I'm not sure where the cos comes from, I kind of just stuck it there because I remember seeing such an equation before) I solved for t, ending up with t=30/v0cos(30).
I plugged this t back into the x equation, but I kind of get lost in the math at that point, since I seem to have to pull the v0 out of the right side of the equation somehow.

part (a.) seems to be my biggest problem, so if I get a little assistance with that I think it'll make (b.) and (c.) much easier to solve, since it's just impulse and momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sungura said:
So, ending up with x=v0cosθ*t
You'll need this.

Sungura said:
(Right here I'm not sure where the cos comes from, I kind of just stuck it there because I remember seeing such an equation before)
The initial velocity has horizontal (x) and vertical (y) components. Those components are handled differently. The cos comes from taking the x-component of the initial velocity.

You have an equation for the x-component of velocity. What about the y-component? Hint: How long will the motorcycle be in the air?

Doc Al said:
You have an equation for the x-component of velocity. What about the y-component? Hint: How long will the motorcycle be in the air?

I just tried drawing out a rectangle with v0 as the hypotenuse and x and y as their respective sides, and found that y=v0sin(30).
I then tried to stick that into y=y0+v0t−1/2gt^2, but I got lost again once I ended up with v0sin(30)/t +.5gt^2=t

Sungura said:
I just tried drawing out a rectangle with v0 as the hypotenuse and x and y as their respective sides, and found that y=v0sin(30).
Good. I think you mean ##v_{0,y} = v_0 sin30##.

Sungura said:
I then tried to stick that into y=y0+v0t−1/2gt^2, but I got lost again once I ended up with v0sin(30)/t +.5gt^2=t
You're using an equation for distance as a function of time. Try using an equation for velocity as a function of time?

Doc Al said:
You're using an equation for distance as a function of time. Try using an equation for velocity as a function of time?
The only equations I can really think of are
v = v0 + at
v^2= v0^2 + 2a(x - x0)
But even plugging in the equations I simplified, I can't seem to get anywhere.

Sungura said:
The only equations I can really think of are
v = v0 + at
That's the one you need. Use it to solve for the time that the motorcycle is in the air. (In terms of ##v_0##.)

Related to Projectile Motion - Solving for initial velocity w/o time

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity alone. It is a form of motion that occurs when an object is thrown, launched, or dropped and follows a curved path due to the force of gravity acting upon it.

2. How is initial velocity without time calculated?

In order to calculate the initial velocity without time, you will need to use the projectile motion equations. One way to solve for initial velocity without time is to use the range formula: v0 = √(xg/2tanθ), where v0 is the initial velocity, x is the horizontal distance traveled, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the projectile's initial velocity.

3. Can initial velocity without time be solved using other formulas?

Yes, there are other formulas that can be used to solve for initial velocity without time in projectile motion. Some examples include the maximum height formula: v0 = √(2gh), where h is the maximum height reached by the projectile, and the time of flight formula: v0 = x/t, where t is the time of flight.

4. What are some real-life examples of projectile motion?

Some common real-life examples of projectile motion include throwing a ball, shooting a basketball, launching a rocket, and dropping an object from a height. These all involve an object experiencing a curved path due to the force of gravity acting upon it.

5. How can understanding projectile motion be useful in scientific research?

Understanding projectile motion is important in scientific research as it helps explain the motion of objects in the natural world, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the path of a falling object. It can also be applied in fields such as physics, engineering, and aerospace to design and analyze the motion of objects in various scenarios.