The Theory of Modules and Number Theory

In summary, modules are heavily used in algebraic number theory, but they are not as commonly used in module theory. Galois modules and representations are particularly important in this area.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I have recently been doing some reading (skimming really) some books on number theory, particularly algebraic number theory.

While number theory seems to draw heavily on rings and fields (especially some special types of rings like Euclidean rings and domains, unique factorization domains etc), it only seems to draw very lightly on module theory ... is my impression correct?

If my impression above is correct, then why is this so ... is it to do with the history and development of number theory and module theory ... or something more fundamental ...

Hope someone can help clarify the above ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I have recently been doing some reading (skimming really) some books on number theory, particularly algebraic number theory.

While number theory seems to draw heavily on rings and fields (especially some special types of rings like Euclidean rings and domains, unique factorization domains etc), it only seems to draw very lightly on module theory ... is my impression correct?

If my impression above is correct, then why is this so ... is it to do with the history and development of number theory and module theory ... or something more fundamental ...

Hope someone can help clarify the above ...

Peter

I think modules are used extensively in algebraic number theory, especially Galois modules and representations. Instead of looking at modules over rings (as you have been doing so far), look at modules over groups. If $G$ is a group, then a (left) $G$-module is an abelian group $M$ together with a (left) $G$-action on $M$ which satisfies $g \cdot (x + y) = g\cdot x + g\cdot y$ for all $g\in G$ and $x, y \in M$. You can view a $G$-module as a module over a ring by considering it as a $\Bbb Z[G]$-module.

If $M$ is a $G$-module such that $G$ is the Galois group of a field extension, then $M$ is called a Galois module or Galois representation. Certainly a field is a Galois module. The ring of integers $\Bbb O_K$ of an algebraic number field $K$ is a much more nontrivial example of a Galois representation.

Here is a paper which shows extensive applicability of Galois representations to not only number theory, but algebraic geometry as well.

http://www.math.ias.edu/~rtaylor/longicm02.pdf

This is at the research level, so don't focus on understanding it -- it's just an illustration.

Euge said:
I think modules are used extensively in algebraic number theory, especially Galois modules and representations. Instead of looking at modules over rings (as you have been doing so far), look at modules over groups. If $G$ is a group, then a (left) $G$-module is an abelian group $M$ together with a (left) $G$-action on $M$ which satisfies $g \cdot (x + y) = g\cdot x + g\cdot y$ for all $g\in G$ and $x, y \in M$. You can view a $G$-module as a module over a ring by considering it as a $\Bbb Z[G]$-module.

If $M$ is a $G$-module such that $G$ is the Galois group of a field extension, then $M$ is called a Galois module or Galois representation. Certainly a field is a Galois module. The ring of integers $\Bbb O_K$ of an algebraic number field $K$ is a much more nontrivial example of a Galois representation.

Here is a paper which shows extensive applicability of Galois representations to not only number theory, but algebraic geometry as well.

http://www.math.ias.edu/~rtaylor/longicm02.pdf

This is at the research level, so don't focus on understanding it -- it's just an illustration.
Thanks so much for your help Euge ... The idea of G-modules and Galois modules sounds really interesting ... at the very least I will look up these ideas ...

Thanks again,

Peter

(The theory of Galois modules is, eh, not quite research level. Patrick Morandi's excellent book on Galois theory talks about those and their relevance in Galois cohomology : http://d.violet.vn/uploads/resources/559/208082/0387947531 - Field and Galois.pdf)

then $M$ is called a Galois module or Galois representation.

Oh? I thought (standard) Galois representations were group homomorphism $\mathsf{Gal}(\Bbb {\overline Q}/\Bbb Q) \to GL_n(V)$? Never heard a module being called a Galois representation.

Last edited:
mathbalarka said:
The theory of Galois modules is, eh, not quite research level.

I was referring to R. Taylor's paper, not the theory. It wouldn't make sense to say that a theory is or is not 'research level'. :)

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

mathbalarka said:
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Mathbalarka, Euge

Thanks for the posts ... interesting ...

Peter

Related to The Theory of Modules and Number Theory

1. What is the Theory of Modules and Number Theory?

The Theory of Modules and Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships between algebraic structures known as modules and the integers, also known as number theory. It combines ideas from abstract algebra and number theory to solve problems related to divisibility, prime numbers, and other topics.

2. How is the Theory of Modules and Number Theory different from other branches of mathematics?

The Theory of Modules and Number Theory focuses specifically on the properties and relationships of modules and integers, while other branches of mathematics may focus on different objects or structures. Additionally, the Theory of Modules and Number Theory often uses abstract algebraic techniques to study number theoretic problems, making it a unique and interdisciplinary field.

3. What are some applications of the Theory of Modules and Number Theory?

The Theory of Modules and Number Theory has many practical applications, especially in computer science and cryptography. It is used in the development of secure encryption algorithms and in coding theory, as well as in the study of finite fields, which are essential for error-correcting codes and computer graphics.

4. Can the Theory of Modules and Number Theory be understood by non-mathematicians?

While the Theory of Modules and Number Theory is a highly technical and specialized field, some concepts can be understood by non-mathematicians with a strong foundation in abstract algebra and number theory. However, a deep understanding of the subject usually requires advanced mathematical training.

5. What are some open problems in the Theory of Modules and Number Theory?

There are still many open problems in the Theory of Modules and Number Theory, such as the Goldbach conjecture, which states that every even integer greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers. Other open problems include the Collatz conjecture, the twin prime conjecture, and the Riemann hypothesis. These problems have been studied for centuries and continue to fascinate mathematicians today.