The temp. dependent Specific heat and expansion coefficient of Cobalt?

In summary, the specific heat and expansion coefficient of cobalt are important properties that determine its behavior in different temperature ranges and applications. The specific heat of cobalt typically decreases with increasing temperature, while the expansion coefficient typically increases. These two properties are related through the heat capacity equation and can be affected by factors such as impurities, crystal structure, and external conditions like pressure and magnetic fields.
poul
Hey. I am writing my master thesis, and I really need to find the temperature dependent heat capacity and expansion coffient for Cobalt. I have tried searching the internet, whitout luck. Please, can anybody help me. It is really important!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might try the JANAF tables: http://kinetics.nist.gov/janaf/

Related to The temp. dependent Specific heat and expansion coefficient of Cobalt?

1. What is the significance of the temperature-dependent specific heat and expansion coefficient of cobalt?

The specific heat and expansion coefficient of a material are important properties that determine how it responds to changes in temperature. Knowing these values for cobalt allows us to predict its behavior in different temperature ranges and use it for various applications.

2. How does the specific heat of cobalt change with temperature?

The specific heat of cobalt typically decreases with increasing temperature. This means that it requires less energy to raise the temperature of cobalt at higher temperatures compared to lower temperatures.

3. What is the relationship between the specific heat and expansion coefficient of cobalt?

The specific heat and expansion coefficient of cobalt are related through the heat capacity equation, which states that the specific heat is equal to the product of the material's mass, heat capacity, and temperature change. The expansion coefficient determines how much the material will expand or contract with changes in temperature, which affects its heat capacity.

4. How does the expansion coefficient of cobalt change with temperature?

The expansion coefficient of cobalt typically increases with increasing temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, cobalt will expand more, and as the temperature decreases, it will contract more.

5. What factors can affect the temperature-dependent specific heat and expansion coefficient of cobalt?

The specific heat and expansion coefficient of cobalt can be affected by various factors such as impurities, crystal structure, and phase transitions. Additionally, these properties can also be influenced by external conditions like pressure and magnetic fields.