The Taste of Fission: Exploring the Mystery of the Atomic Bomb

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fission
In summary, the crewman on the Enola Gay may have experienced a metallic taste due to the radiation and adrenal gland activity.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I thought this was interesting. On The History Channel there was a show about the crew of the Enola Gay - dropped first atomic bomb on Japan. In the diary of one crewman he comments that as they were hit by the blast wave, another crewman commented that "you can taste fission". "It tastes like lead".

Does this make sense to anyone? Does gamma radiation or any of the trash from a fission reaction induce a sense of taste?

Physics news on Phys.org
Adrenaline, perhaps?

I don't think my sense of taste is refined enough to detect a difference between lead and any other metal. We could probably assume the same is true of the crewman making the comment, that it was a metallic taste of some sort, maybe not specifically lead.

In addition to the radiation, what else would they have been exposed to? Though, could tissue damage from the radiation alone have been sufficient to cause a metallic taste sensation? It wouldn't surprise me that something caused the taste, but I wouldn't expect it to be fission, per se.

That's why I was thinking of adrenaline. Doesn't that produce a metallic taste when released in large doses? My thinking is that seeing a nuclear detonation would probably get my adrenaline going.

Well. On the history channel last night, there was a program about the Chernobyl reactor accident. The fire fighters that were first on the scene said they had a metallic taste as they approached the reactor fire.
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i saw that documentary before and that part was really interesting. i looked online to see if i could find anything else about the the air tasting like metal but i didnt find anything

Think taste. Taste buds on the back of the tongue are stimulated by odors. If you have ever been in a welding shop, you can 'taste' different alloys being welded by the fumes. I can rather easily tell the difference between stainless and mild steel that way.

Last edited:
I managed to find one anecdotal reference to adrenaline causing a metallic taste. It is also mentioned in a medical journal in association with toxicity due to lidocaine w/epinephrine [adrenaline], but it wasn't clear which was the cause. It is a close match to what I was thinking, and since the two drugs are apparently always given together, it seems a bit coincidental that I would be wrong about this. Still, I didn't find anything stating explicitly what I was expecting - that large releases of adrenaline can cause a metallic taste in one's mouth.

Shooting from the hip...what about ozone? Ozone has a metallic odor. I could see the fire fighters smelling burning metal, but what about the Enola Gay crewman? Could air be sufficiently ionized at that distance so as to produce detectable levels of ozone?

Something else that Integral brought up was all of the above ground testing done in Nevada in the 50's? Someone would have reported this. Of course, this could be well known to some people but who else would know? On the other hand, what were the levels of exposure of any Nevada group as compared to air crewman or the fire fighters. Most personnel on the scene at Chernobyl received lethal levels of exposure.

Related to The Taste of Fission: Exploring the Mystery of the Atomic Bomb

1. What is fission?

Fission is a nuclear reaction in which the nucleus of an atom splits into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing a significant amount of energy.

2. How does fission create an atomic bomb?

In an atomic bomb, the process of fission is used to rapidly release a large amount of energy, resulting in a powerful explosion. This is achieved by using controlled fission reactions to release a chain reaction of energy.

3. What is the taste of fission?

The term "taste of fission" is often used metaphorically to describe the intense and destructive power of an atomic bomb. It does not refer to an actual taste, as the explosion of an atomic bomb would be far too dangerous for anyone to taste.

4. How was the atomic bomb discovered?

The atomic bomb was discovered as a result of years of scientific research and experimentation, beginning in the early 20th century with the discovery of nuclear fission by scientists such as Ernest Rutherford and Otto Hahn. This research eventually led to the development of the first atomic bomb during the Manhattan Project in the 1940s.

5. What impact did the atomic bomb have on society?

The atomic bomb had a significant impact on society, both in terms of its destructive capabilities and its role in the development of nuclear technology. Its use in World War II led to the end of the war, but also raised ethical and moral concerns about the use of such powerful weapons. The ongoing development and testing of nuclear weapons has also had a major impact on global politics and international relations.