The Struggle to Major in Physics Despite Its Difficulty in High School

In summary: If your parents are telling you to do something because they don't know any better, chances are they don't know a whole lot about it. They might want you to do something because it's "safe" or they think it's a "good" field, but they don't really know much about it.Go talk to your professor again. They might be able to point you in the right direction or even connect you with a few people who can help you out.
kraphysics
I am in high school, currently studying grade 12 Physics. Other subjects I am taking are Chemistry, Biology, Calculus I, English, History. Out of all these subjects, I find that I have to study for Physics the most. It is a hard class. The exams seem to be much much harder than the homework and they count for almost all of the marks. Recently I have fallen in love with the subject so I find myself trying to expand my knowledge of topics beyong the scope of my class.
In my whole school, everyone seems to think that Physics is the hardest subject. It is extremely difficult to get a 100% on any exam. Even my teacher admits that it is the hardest science. I do well in Calculus with ease yet in Physics, I have to study hard. Does this mean I can't major in Physics? I really love the subject but it isn't the easiest for me. Although, when I do study, I can pull off 100's.

Edit: I accidentally pressed some button before finishing the title. Sorry about that. My question, apart from the one mentioned above is : Can I major in physics even though I have to work hard at it? It might sound a bit of a stupid question but I am ashamed of not completely understanding it without working hard especially at such an elementary course like High school physics. I feel like my intelligence is very limited.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everyone has to work hard at physics. If you love the subject, that's the #1 most important sign that you should try it out as a major.

It can be quite subjective what makes one subject more difficult than another. I always had more difficulty with chemistry, myself. However, it seems the that common consensus is that physics is one of the more challenging academic subjects to learn.

The fact that you try to learn beyond that which is taught in class is a clear sign that you would do well as a physics major - probably even better than someone who does well at the high school level with less effort.

I guess it is subjective. I find Chemistry incredibly easy but have no interest in it. I despise Biology and hate to memorize so much. Physics takes up more time but I think that might be because I, unlike others, try to really understand every single concept fully. Most people just stop at the textbook but because of my interest in the subject, I often think about Physics problems constantly in my mind. For example, just the other day, we were assigned a photoelectric effect problem over the weekend. I ended up waking up abruptly in the middle of night and solved it because in the back of mind, I was working at it.
Despite my immense interest, I am scared though. I have heard that career prospects for physics majors are very poor and my parents tell me to do engineering instead. What do you guys think I should do? Btw I live in Canada, if that makes any difference.. I really appreciate your advice...

kraphysics said:
I have heard that career prospects for physics majors are very poor and my parents tell me to do engineering instead. What do you guys think I should do?
Sometimes you might hear some sad soul cry about how they have [Insert degree name here] and couldn't find a job. In this scenario, it's probably best NOT to blame the degree, but rather the person.

Did they make themselves appealing to employers? Did they look hard enough? Did they look in the right places? Did they have marketable skills? Are they comfortable around people? How did they stand out?

If you like physics, go into physics. Your chances of succeeding are much higher if you're passionate. Get a bit of programming skills, maybe a minor or even a double major. Make yourself known, work with professors. Get a part-time job somewhere, develop some contacts. I'd be surprised if you end up without a job.

I personally don't know any unemployed physics graduates.

You need to ask yourself, what do your parents know about the job prospects for physicists? Hell, what do they know about the prospects for engineers outside of stereotypes?

I had a chat with my professor just the other day. We were talking about job prospects for math/physics/engineering. He told me he did not know of a single unemployed person with a math degree. He then told me he only knew very few unemployed physicists. But he knew a lot more unemployed engineering majors. He said he thought this was due to the fact that everybody goes into engineering (in our area), and that there just was not enough demand for them.

Interpret this any way you'd like.

Can I major in physics even though I have to work hard at it?

What kind of question is this? If you think you're going to go to university and still make anything close to 100 on any exams, you're very much mistaken. My latest physics exam was a 61. That was a pretty average grade. In my opinion, there is nothing worth studying that isn't hard.

Angry Citizen said:
In my opinion, there is nothing worth studying that isn't hard.

I really like this. It pretty much summarizes my undergraduate experience in math and physics.

Related to The Struggle to Major in Physics Despite Its Difficulty in High School

What makes physics such a difficult subject to major in?

Physics is a challenging subject because it involves complex mathematical concepts and requires strong critical thinking skills. Additionally, the material can be abstract and difficult to visualize, making it challenging for some students to grasp.

Why do many students struggle to major in physics in high school?

High school physics courses often have a heavy focus on memorization and regurgitation of information rather than understanding and application of concepts. This can make it difficult for students who thrive on hands-on learning and struggle with rote memorization.

What resources are available to help students overcome the difficulties of majoring in physics in high school?

Many high schools offer tutoring services, study groups, and after-school programs specifically for students struggling with physics. Additionally, there are numerous online resources, such as video tutorials and practice problems, that can aid in understanding difficult concepts.

Is it worth the struggle to major in physics in high school?

While physics may be challenging, it is a highly rewarding and valuable field of study. It teaches critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and helps lay a strong foundation for future studies in STEM fields. Additionally, a degree in physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, and education.

What advice do you have for students who are struggling to major in physics in high school?

First and foremost, do not be afraid to ask for help. Seek out resources and support from teachers, tutors, and peers. Additionally, try to find real-life applications for the material you are learning and practice problem-solving regularly. Most importantly, do not give up. With hard work and determination, anyone can succeed in majoring in physics in high school.