The Story of Energy, or How To Write Garbage

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation is discussing a blog article written on the Scientific American website and questioning the credibility and standards of the publication. The person in question, who is described as a humanities student, attempts to write about the history of energy and elementary particles but makes several errors and delves into pseudo-science. The conversation also mentions the decline of journalism and the need for better quality control.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Honestly, garbage such as this should not be associated with Scientific American.

This is probably a blog article written in the SciAm domain. How SciAm could allow someone like this to write something of this "caliber" is beyond me, and it calls into question on the level and standard that they maintain there.

This person is attempting to write the "history" of energy and maybe even elementary particles. But she tripped all over the place, either getting it really wrong (thinking the beta decay had an issue with charge conservation that required the neutrino), or that cosmic rays are only the result of atmospheric decay, or later on getting into the pseudo-scientific world of metaphysics. You are welcome to use your physics knowledge and find out how many errors she made here, or where she just went way too far (strong interaction and dark energy, anyone?).

The problem with this is that, for people who simply did a web search, they can't tell if this is a formal SciAm article, or if this was simply an "opinion blog" of some freelance writer SciAm caters to. All they see his the SciAm tag, and they will put a lot of weight on such an article. SciAm should be embarrassed to be associated with such garbage. Some of the purported "opinions" in this article are factually wrong!

And oh, this is only "Part 1" of this treatise. I wonder what's in store for us in Part 2 of this gem!

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Google her - the titles alone of her other works are scary.

Ugh!

It hurts my brain.

The atom is singular in its reduction to itself, in that it does not contain or uphold the metaphysical.

I suppose this means I am illiterate, as I have not a clue what that means.
Removing the fluff, it looks like it is saying; "The atom does not uphold the metaphysical".
Does anything uphold the metaphysical?

I repeat, this hurts my brain.

The quality of journalism is on the decline due to... Technology.

She's a humanities student? Lmfao why is she writing science articles.

At the very least, she does give credit to caveman's contibution to science,

Also if you are interested in some prehistory of the developments of interpretation in quantum mechanics...

256bits said:
At the very least, she does give credit to caveman's contibution to science,

:smile:

Caveman quantum: "Food occurs in discrete quanta. We call these quanta, 'antelope'."

I've seen spam with random text that was more coherent - and more enjoyable to read.

WannabeNewton said:
She's a humanities student? Lmfao why is she writing science articles.

You couldn't tell that from how it was written?

GADS ... not only is her science knowledge awful, her grammar is even worse.

Really disgusting that Scientific American would allow its name to be associated with such garbage. Oh ... that's what ZapperZ said in the first place. :smile:

lisab said:
Caveman quantum: "Food occurs in discrete quanta. We call these quanta, 'antelope'."

Nah. Everybody knows cavemen ate dinosaurs, not antelopes. :biggrin:

Well, who can you address to correct this issue? I don't know anything about scientific America, but instead of complaining about it on physicsforums, which accomplishes nothing, someone who knows the avenues available to bring this to the attention of the editor should do so, and let them force the author to sever whatever association she has with them.

Related to The Story of Energy, or How To Write Garbage

1. What is the main focus of "The Story of Energy, or How To Write Garbage"?

The main focus of "The Story of Energy, or How To Write Garbage" is to explore the concept of energy and its role in our daily lives. It also delves into the process of creating and writing a compelling story, using energy as a metaphor.

2. Who is the author of "The Story of Energy, or How To Write Garbage"?

The author of "The Story of Energy, or How To Write Garbage" is renowned physicist and science communicator, Dr. Michio Kaku.

3. How does the book connect the topics of energy and storytelling?

The book uses energy as a metaphor for storytelling, showing how both require a source of power and the ability to harness and manipulate it effectively. It also explores the impact of energy on our emotions and the power of a well-written story to capture and hold our attention.

4. Is "The Story of Energy, or How To Write Garbage" geared towards a specific audience?

No, the book is written for a general audience and can be enjoyed by anyone interested in learning about energy and storytelling.

5. What makes "The Story of Energy, or How To Write Garbage" a unique read?

The book offers a unique perspective on the concept of energy and how it relates to our daily lives and the world of storytelling. It also provides insights and tips from a renowned scientist and author, making it a fascinating and informative read.