The significance of orthogonal relationships

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of orthogonal relationships, specifically in the XYZ coordinate system. The speaker is trying to understand the significance of these relationships and how they relate to geometry and mathematical concepts like determinants, sin, cos, tan, and pi. They also question the use and validity of Euclidean geometry in our world. Overall, the conversation highlights the complex and interconnected nature of mathematics and how it applies to our physical world.
linuspauling
what is the meaning of orthogonal relationships in addition to right angles in the xyz coordinate system?

for instance, if a 3 piece rocket separated in space in an orthogonal way...will there be any significance when compared to the 3 piece rocket that does not separate in an orthogonal way?

I'm sure pi is somewhere along the answer to this question...am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean by "orthogonal relationships in addition to right angles"! "Orthogonal" means "at right angles". I also don't know what kind of "signifcance" you are looking for in your example. There may be some physical significance but not mathematical.

I just find it a bit fascinating that values can be interpreted in a geometric way. For Instance, the area vector is orthogonal to two vectors in the xy plane after we adjust these two vectors in the xy plane to be orthogonal by projecting one vector over the other...thus, we again form an orthogonal relationship between two sides of rectangle/square that is produced by the two adjusted vectors in the xy plan and the area.

Isn't there some type of meaning here? two vectors in the xy plane form two sides of a geometric shape, and the Area vector is not a geometric shape...thus, it is in another plane...but in an orthogonal way? Am I making any sense? I guess I'm trying to figure out how the originator of vector calculus was constructing this line of logic.

The usual high school geometry is the so called Euclidiean geometry. It is based on axioms. The type of geometry we live in or equivalently the axioms it is based on are verifiable only by experiment.

Actually the Euclidean geometry is just a very good approximation to the geometry on Earth, General relativity predicts that every material body curves the geometry around it so it is no longer Euclidean but the effect on Earth is too tiny so we can usually get away with Euclidean geometry constructions.

Last edited:
LOOK...determinants work because there are orthogonal relationships between two vectors in the xyz coordinate and the area vector that the parallelogram or the rectangle the two vectors can form.

what is the importance of a 90 degree angle in geometry? sin, cos, tan all work within a 90 degree construction. when working with degrees...pi eventually comes into the picture. who can connect this choppy line of logic and smooth it out?

The sum of all angles in a triangle is 180 deg only in Euclidean geometry. Many of the high school trig formulas are true only in Euclidean geometry. So what is your question? Why we live in an approximately Euclidean world? I doubt anyone knows that.

Related to The significance of orthogonal relationships

1. What is the significance of orthogonal relationships?

The significance of orthogonal relationships lies in their ability to simplify complex systems and allow for more accurate analysis and understanding. By breaking down a system into orthogonal components, it becomes easier to identify and isolate specific factors that may be impacting the overall system. This can be especially useful in fields such as mathematics, engineering, and computer science.

2. How do orthogonal relationships impact data analysis?

Orthogonal relationships play a crucial role in data analysis by allowing for the identification of independent variables that have the greatest impact on a dependent variable. This helps to reduce bias and increase the accuracy of statistical models. Additionally, orthogonal relationships can help to identify and eliminate multicollinearity, which can be a major issue in data analysis.

3. Can orthogonal relationships be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, orthogonal relationships can be applied to real-life situations. In fact, they are often used in fields such as psychology, economics, and biology to better understand complex systems. For example, in psychology, orthogonal relationships can be used to study the independent effects of different factors on behavior, rather than trying to analyze them all at once.

4. What are some examples of orthogonal relationships?

Some common examples of orthogonal relationships include the three primary colors in light (red, green, and blue), the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height), and the three axes in a Cartesian coordinate system (x, y, and z). These relationships are orthogonal because they are mutually perpendicular and do not overlap.

5. Are orthogonal relationships always beneficial?

While orthogonal relationships can be extremely useful in many situations, they are not always beneficial. In some cases, they may oversimplify a system and ignore important factors that could impact the overall outcome. Additionally, identifying orthogonal relationships can be challenging and may require a significant amount of data and analysis.