The set of all conjugates of a and the set of all cosets of the Centralizer of a

In summary: So you still have some work to do on that first part.In summary, the conversation is discussing the construction of a bijection between the set of all conjugates of a and the set of all cosets of the Centralizer of a. The function f is defined as f(xax-1)= (xax-1)x and the goal is to map each element xax-1 in [a] to Ca for each x in G. However, there is still work to be done in ensuring that f is well-defined.
jmjlt88
I am working on constructing a bijection between the set of all conjugates of a and the set of all cosets of the Centralizer of a. Now, I let [a]={xεG: xax-1}. This is the set of all conjugates of a. The set {Cax : xεG} is the set of all cosets of Ca. Hence, I want a function f: [a] -> {Cax : x G}. I want to define f to be f(xax-1)= (xax-1)x. From a previous exercise, I am equipped with the fact that x-1ax= y-1ay if and only if Cax= Cay. Thus, if f(xax-1)=f(yay-1), then (xax-1)x= (yay-1)y which implies membership to both Cax and Cay. Hence xax-1= yay-1 and f is injective...

Before I go any further (i.e. prove that f is surjective and place QED at the end), is this the right idea? Or have I missed something or, perhaps, defined my function incorrectly? The fact that I am posting on here means I feel that something is amiss:redface:.

Physics news on Phys.org
jmjlt88 said:
I am working on constructing a bijection between the set of all conjugates of a and the set of all cosets of the Centralizer of a. Now, I let [a]={xεG: xax-1}. This is the set of all conjugates of a. The set {Cax : xεG} is the set of all cosets of Ca. Hence, I want a function f: [a] -> {Cax : x G}. I want to define f to be f(xax-1)= (xax-1)x.

What do you mean with thus function. We have that [itex](xax^{-1})x[/itex] is an element of G, it is not a coset of [itex]C_a[/itex]. You need f to map [itex]xax^{-1}[/itex] to a coset of [itex]C_a[/itex].

Hmmm... What I am trying to do is map each element xax-1ε[a] to Cax for each xεG. Hence, define f(xax-1)=Cax... Thus, if f(xax-1)=f(yay-1), then Cax= Cay which implies x-1ax= y-1ay... AAAAAAAHHHHAAA! =) Better? I think it just hit me like a ton of bricks. You are the best micromass!

Be careful, you still want f to be well-defined. That is, if both [itex]xax^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]yay^{-1}[/itex] define the same element, then f of them is the same.

Related to The set of all conjugates of a and the set of all cosets of the Centralizer of a

What is the definition of "The set of all conjugates of a and the set of all cosets of the Centralizer of a"?

The set of all conjugates of a refers to the collection of elements that can be obtained by conjugating a given element a with all other elements in a group. The set of all cosets of the Centralizer of a refers to the collection of left or right cosets of the centralizer of a, which is the subgroup of elements that commute with a.

How are the sets of conjugates and cosets related?

The sets of conjugates and cosets are related in that they both involve the element a and its interaction with other elements in the group. The set of conjugates is a subset of the set of cosets, as each conjugate of a is contained within a coset of the centralizer of a.

Why are conjugates and cosets important in group theory?

Conjugates and cosets are important in group theory because they provide a way to study the structure of a group and its subgroups. They also help in understanding the properties of a given element and how it interacts with other elements in the group.

How do you find the set of conjugates and the set of cosets of the Centralizer of a?

To find the set of conjugates of a, you simply conjugate a with all other elements in the group. To find the set of cosets of the Centralizer of a, you can use the coset decomposition theorem, which states that the cosets of a subgroup form a partition of the group. Alternatively, you can use the formula [G : H] = |G|/|H|, where [G : H] represents the number of distinct left (or right) cosets of H in G.

What is the significance of the Centralizer of a in the context of conjugates and cosets?

The Centralizer of a is significant because it is the subgroup of elements that commute with a, and therefore plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of a within the group. Additionally, the cosets of the Centralizer of a provide a way to classify and study the conjugates of a, which can reveal important information about the structure of the group.