The self-dual connection in LQG

In summary, The book "Quantum Gravity" discusses the Plebanski action and a decomposition of the complex Lorentz algebra into self-dual and anti-self dual parts. This allows for a map between the real and complex connections, giving the same degrees of freedom. The reason for this decomposition is further explored in Chapter 4. The overall book is highly recommended and the conversation ends with the reader expressing their enjoyment of the book and just starting chapter four.
Perturbation
I'm reading Carlo Rovelli's book "Quantum Gravity". In the second chapter he writes down the Plebanski action by performing a decomposition of the complex Lorentz algebra into self-dual and anti-self dual parts, i.e. [tex]so(3, 1, C)=so(3, C)\oplus so(3, C)[/tex]. I sort of appreciate this fact and what it has to do with the connection, but I don't really understand this in any great depth. For example, why the complex algebras, why into two copies of so(3, C) etc.? I get the rest of the derivation of the action, I just don't get why this decomposition works.

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Great book!

It's just a math trick -- shuffling around the degrees of freedom. The obvious thing to do is use a real [itex]so(3,1)[/itex] connection, with 6 degrees of freedom (per direction). But it turns out we can instead use a complex [itex]so(3)[/itex] connection, also with 6 degrees of freedom, and build a map from one connection to the other. So everything we might want to do with one connection we can do with the other, and the map back and forth let's us translate. Letting the [itex]so(3,1)[/itex] connection become complex, and splitting it into self-dual and anti-self-dual parts, one of which can be mapped to a real [itex]so(3,1)[/itex] connection, is how we build the map.

It's not all clear at first why converting to a complex [itex]so(3)[/itex] connection might be a good idea. But this gets developed more in Chapter 4, and the rest of the book.

Oh, ok, thanks. Playing with the degrees of freedom had occurred to me; I just thought there might be some deeper reason for the decomposition that had something to do with representations or whatever.

And yeah, it really is a very good book. I got it for Christmas and I've really enjoyed reading it. Just started reading chapter four.

Last edited:

Related to The self-dual connection in LQG

1. What is the self-dual connection in LQG?

The self-dual connection is a mathematical concept used in Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG) to describe the dynamics of quantum space-time. It is a complex-valued connection that represents the curvature of space-time at the Planck scale.

2. How does the self-dual connection differ from other connections used in LQG?

The self-dual connection is unique in that it is the only connection that satisfies the self-duality constraint, meaning that it is equal to its own dual connection. This property is important in LQG as it allows for the formulation of a quantum theory of gravity that is background independent.

3. What are the implications of the self-dual connection in LQG?

The self-dual connection plays a crucial role in the quantization of space-time in LQG. It allows for the formulation of a consistent quantum theory of gravity that is free from singularities and has a well-defined notion of space-time geometry at the Planck scale. It also provides a framework for studying the behavior of space-time in the early universe and near black holes.

4. How is the self-dual connection related to other fundamental forces?

The self-dual connection is closely related to the other fundamental forces in nature, such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces. In fact, the self-dual connection can be seen as a unified description of all these forces, providing a way to understand the fundamental interactions of matter and energy at the most fundamental level.

5. What are the current challenges in understanding the self-dual connection in LQG?

While the self-dual connection has shown promise in providing a framework for a quantum theory of gravity, there are still many challenges in fully understanding its implications and making testable predictions. Some of these challenges include finding ways to experimentally test LQG predictions, reconciling it with other theories of quantum gravity, and understanding its implications for the behavior of space-time on a larger scale.