The Royal Primate's question at Yahoo Answers regarding convergence of a series

In summary, the given series converges if we compare it to the harmonic series and use the direct comparison test.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

The Royal Primate at Yahoo Answers said:
Need help determining whether a series converges or diverges?

I have the following series:

Sigma (from n=1 to infinity): (n^3 + n^2)/(5n^4 + 3)

and I need to determine if it converges or diverges. I am given that the series diverges by the Limit Comparison Test with the Harmonic Series but I am not sure how to do the work to get there.

Thanks!
Update : I need to find the prototype of this series, would that just be (n^3)/(5n^4) = (1/5n)?

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello The Royal Primate,

We are given to determine whether the followin series converges:

\(\displaystyle S=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n^3+n^2}{5n^4+3}\)

If we observe that for all natural numbers $n$, we have:

\(\displaystyle 5n^3>3\)

Now add $5n^4$ to the both sides:

\(\displaystyle 5n^4+5n^3>5n^4+3\)

Factor the left side:

\(\displaystyle 5n\left(n^3+n^2\right)>5n^4+3\)

Divide through by \(\displaystyle 5n\left(5n^4+3\right)>0\):

\(\displaystyle \frac{n^3+n^2}{5n^4+3}>\frac{1}{5n}\)

Now, since we know the series:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{5n}=\frac{1}{5}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}\)

is a divergent harmonic series, we therefore know that:

\(\displaystyle S=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n^3+n^2}{5n^4+3}\)

diverges as well since every term in the generated sequence is greater than those in the known divergent series. And so by the direct comparison test we know that $S$ diverges.

Related to The Royal Primate's question at Yahoo Answers regarding convergence of a series

1. What is convergence of a series and why is it important?

Convergence of a series refers to whether or not the sum of all the terms in the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. It is important because it allows us to determine if a series is mathematically meaningful and has a definite value.

2. How can I determine if a series converges or diverges?

To determine convergence or divergence of a series, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, the root test, or the comparison test. These tests compare the given series to a known series with known convergence properties to determine if it has a finite sum.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series where the sum of the absolute values of the terms converges, while conditional convergence refers to a series where the sum of the terms themselves converges. In other words, absolute convergence is a stronger condition as it ensures convergence regardless of the signs of the terms.

4. Can a series converge to different values?

No, a series can only converge to one specific value. If a series converges to different values depending on the order of the terms, then it is said to be divergent.

5. How is convergence of a series related to the concept of limits?

Convergence of a series is closely related to the concept of limits, as both involve the behavior of a sequence as the number of terms increases. In fact, the convergence of a series is often determined by taking the limit of the sequence of partial sums of the series.