Modeling Forced Oscillations with Viscous Damping and External Force

• Thread starter qasbrv
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a 2 kg mass suspended on a spring with no given elastic constant or frequency. The mass is immersed in a viscous fluid with a damping coefficient of 4 Ns/m and is driven by an external force of 4cos(2t). The goal is to plot mass position versus time, but there may be some missing information or errors in the problem.
qasbrv
Homework Statement
A spring is stretched 2m by a mass of 2 kg. The body is immersed in a viscous fluid with the damping coefficient having 4 Ns / m which is driven by an external force 4cos (2t). Plot mass position versus time. g = 10 m / s2.

The attempt at a solution
I know first I have to find an equivalent form as that of forced oscilations
x⋅⋅+2γx02x = F×cos(ωt)/m
but I can't figure out because I don't have an elasticity const k or a frequency. I think I don't need one, but I don't know how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you need the spring constant to find the natural frequency?
Is there any other information supplied? Maybe in the context?

Simon Bridge said:
Don't you need the spring constant to find the natural frequency?
Is there any other information supplied? Maybe in the context?

I thought that too, but that's all; nothing else given. Maybe the problem has some bugs.

Maybe ... ask.

I will
Thank you anyway!

What do you suppose "a spring is stretched 2m by a mass of 2 kg" means?

Likes Simon Bridge and qasbrv
It means that the maximum elongation x (amplitude) is exerted by the gravitational force =m*g ...so
-m*g=-kx
k=m*g/x= 10 N/m xD

Thank you very much!

Ooh... I missed it too, well done.

Poorly worded problem.
Is the mass subjected to the force 4cos (2t) directly, or is the force exerted on the mass indirectly by applying the force to a container containing the mass and viscous fluid? If the latter the mass of the fluid + containing vessel would also have to be specified.

Related to Modeling Forced Oscillations with Viscous Damping and External Force

1. What is forced oscillation/position?

Forced oscillation/position is a type of motion where an object is forced to oscillate or move back and forth by an external force.

2. What is the difference between forced oscillation and free oscillation?

Forced oscillation is when an external force is applied to an object to make it oscillate, while free oscillation is when an object oscillates on its own without any external force.

3. What are some examples of forced oscillation/position?

Some examples of forced oscillation/position include a pendulum being pushed by a hand, a child on a swing being pushed by a parent, and a guitar string being plucked by a musician.

4. How does the frequency of the external force affect forced oscillation/position?

The frequency of the external force can affect forced oscillation/position by either causing resonance, when the frequency of the external force matches the natural frequency of the object, or damping, when the frequency of the external force is different from the natural frequency of the object.

5. What is the importance of understanding forced oscillation/position?

Understanding forced oscillation/position is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as in designing structures that can withstand external forces, analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits, and studying the motion of particles in a fluid under the influence of a force.