The radius of the Stationary State of a hydrogen atom

In summary, the radius of a stationary state in a Hydrogen atom with n=2 is 0.2116 nm, calculated using the equation r=an^2, where a=.0529 nm. The n=2 state is considered the first excited state in a Hydrogen atom, meaning it has higher energy but is still stationary. This is because the time dependence of the wavefunction for n=2 is a complex exponential, similar to the ground state.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

A Hydrogen atom is in a state with n=2?

Homework Equations

r=an^2
a=.0529 nm

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused by my book it says that the radius of a stationary state is r=.0529*2^2=.2116 but I disagree isn't the stationary state n=1 which would mean the radius is .0529 nm. I thought n=2 is the first excited state in a hydrogen atom am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's excited, in the sense that it's not the ground state (it has higher energy), but it's still stationary, since the time dependence of the wavefunction for n=2 is again a complex exponential.

Ok thanks I understand now

Related to The radius of the Stationary State of a hydrogen atom

What is the radius of the Stationary State of a hydrogen atom?

The radius of the Stationary State of a hydrogen atom refers to the average distance between the nucleus and the electron in the lowest energy state of a hydrogen atom. It is also known as the Bohr radius and has a value of approximately 0.0529 nanometers.

How is the radius of the Stationary State of a hydrogen atom calculated?

The radius of the Stationary State of a hydrogen atom is calculated using the Bohr model, which takes into account the fundamental constants of nature such as the electron mass, Planck's constant, and the Coulomb constant. The formula for calculating the radius is r = n^2 * (h^2 / 4π^2 * m_e * k * e^2), where n is the principal quantum number, h is Planck's constant, m_e is the electron mass, k is the Coulomb constant, and e is the charge of an electron.

What is the significance of the radius of the Stationary State of a hydrogen atom?

The radius of the Stationary State of a hydrogen atom is significant because it is the smallest possible distance between the electron and the nucleus in a hydrogen atom. It also determines the size of the atom and its energy level, which is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of hydrogen and other atoms.

How does the radius of the Stationary State of a hydrogen atom change with different energy levels?

The radius of the Stationary State of a hydrogen atom increases as the energy level increases. This is because the electron is further away from the nucleus in higher energy levels, leading to a larger average distance between them. Additionally, the radius decreases as the principal quantum number decreases, indicating a lower energy state.

Can the radius of the Stationary State of a hydrogen atom be measured experimentally?

Yes, the radius of the Stationary State of a hydrogen atom can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as spectroscopy. By analyzing the energy levels and transitions of hydrogen atoms, scientists can determine the radius of the Stationary State and confirm the accuracy of the Bohr model's predictions.