The radio stops when I get near it.

• Thread starter PIT2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radio
In summary, the conversation discusses a strange phenomenon where a radio suddenly stopped playing music and produced white noise when someone got near it, but started playing again when they moved away. This has happened multiple times and cannot be explained by the presence of metal or electronic devices. The theory proposed is that the human body can act as a capacitor and affect the radio's signal strength. This can be tested by trying the same experiment with a remote key and seeing if the body can transmit the signal.
PIT2
A few months ago i was at work listening to the radio, which is on a desk about 3 meters away from me. Suddenly it stopped and i heard white noise. I thought the antenna had moved to i walked towards the radio.

When i got near it, it suddenly started playing music again. But the nearer i got the more white noise it produced. When i held my hand right above it (few inches) it would only make white noise, and the moment i removed my hand it would play music again. I tried this about 20 times and then a colleage also tried it, but his hand had no effect at all (the radio kept playing music). In the past few months this has happened half a dozen times. The radio would be fine and in a splitsecond it stops. I do not have a watch on my wrist nor any other electronic devices or metal on me.

What is the explanation for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The human body is a capacitor of sorts and can also gain a static charge.

When the radio is getting borderline signal strength your body can help or hinder the signal depending on your orientation to the signal direction of origin.. Try moving around it or putting your hand in different orientations and I think you will see the effect.

If you have a car with a remote key, try standing far enough away that it doesn't lock and unlock your car. But then press the sensor against your skin (I like under the chin) and push the remotes buttons. Chances are you'll be a big enough antenna to send that signal to the car and get it to perform those functions.

I always get a kick out of that one.

Related to The radio stops when I get near it.

1. Why does the radio stop when I get near it?

The radio stops when you get near it because your body acts as an antenna and absorbs the radio frequency, causing interference with the radio's signal. This is a common phenomenon known as "body capacitance."

2. Can this interference be prevented?

Yes, this interference can be prevented by using a shielded radio or by increasing the distance between yourself and the radio. You can also try using a different frequency or moving to a different location.

3. Is this harmful to my health?

No, the amount of radio frequency absorbed by your body is very small and is not harmful to your health. However, it may be a sign of poor radio reception and may cause frustration if it happens frequently.

4. Why does this only happen with some radios?

This phenomenon is more likely to occur with older or cheaper radios that do not have proper shielding. Higher quality radios or those with advanced technology are less likely to be affected by body capacitance.

5. Can this be used as a method of controlling the radio?

No, body capacitance is not a reliable method of controlling the radio as it can be affected by various factors such as the size of the person and the environment. It is best to use the designated controls on the radio to change the station or volume.