The (quantum) world existing AND non-existing

In summary, the conversation delves into the concept of quantum properties and their existence in relation to measurement. The speaker argues that these properties cannot be claimed to exist or not exist, as they are represented by probabilities. After measurement, the result does not accurately represent the property that was measured, but rather a combination of the apparatus and the object. The speaker suggests that the many worlds interpretation may not necessarily represent something real, but rather a combination of real and not-real elements. Ultimately, the question of whether the world is both real and not-real cannot be answered.
entropy1
Can we suppose that a quantum property (like spin, polarisation, velocity, position) becomes a potential, a probability, when we are going to measure it? Can we say that this property does not exist while remaining unmeasured, and that when measured takes on a value that depends on both the measured quantum object and the measurement apparatus, so that after measurement we can't claim that we measured the property itself?

What I'm driving at is that the property as a probability cannot (ontologically) be claimed to exist or to not exist, and after measurement, we have a value that does not represent the value of the property, because the measured value is a combination (entangled state) of apparatus and quantum object, so that the property measured does not represent a property that actually existed.

The property is as it were 'created'. So after that, it exists in the measurement result, however the result is not representative of something that existed and as such does not indicate anything (ontologically) existing.

So I figured that we can't claim reality is real nor that it does not exist. Things exist and not-exist.

I figured that the branches of the many worlds interpretation don't represent anything real 'per se', but that they are real and not-real at the same time (possibly to some degree). For instance: if we have in some basis the superposition ##\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}}| a \rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}| b \rangle##, then we have the potential of two realisations (##| a \rangle## and ##| b \rangle##). In MWI we have both after measurement. My view is that they might both to some degree be real and not-real as indicated by their amplitudes. What becomes real is relative to the observer (the measurement).

So not so clear as I hoped to be but hey, this is complicated stuff. I am looking out for your views on this.

So my main question is this: is the world both real and not-real? (not solely with respect to MWI)

Physics news on Phys.org
"Real" is a vague term and does not have a well-defined scientific meaning. So this question is not answerable, at least not in a PF discussion.

Thread closed.

1. Does the quantum world really exist or is it just a theory?

The quantum world is not just a theory, it is a well-established scientific concept that has been extensively studied and confirmed through experiments. It is a fundamental aspect of our physical reality, and its effects can be observed and measured in various phenomena.

2. How can something exist and not exist at the same time in the quantum world?

In the quantum world, particles can exist in multiple states or locations simultaneously, a phenomenon known as superposition. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where the exact state of a particle cannot be determined until it is measured. Therefore, a particle can exist in a combination of states until it is observed.

3. Does the existence of the quantum world have any practical applications?

Yes, the principles of quantum mechanics have led to the development of various technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also has potential applications in fields such as cryptography, computing, and communication.

4. Can we observe the quantum world directly?

No, we cannot directly observe the quantum world because it operates at a scale that is too small for our senses and technology to detect. However, we can indirectly observe its effects through experiments and measurements.

5. Is the quantum world the same as the classical world we experience in our daily lives?

No, the quantum world behaves differently from the classical world that we experience. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics is probabilistic. Additionally, classical objects have definite properties, while quantum objects can exist in multiple states simultaneously.