The Properties of Jupiter's Core that give it magnetism?

In summary, we are able to explain the creation of Earth's magnetic field through magnetohydrodynamics and can use this understanding to try and explain Jupiter's magnetic field. Jupiter's magnetic field is also likely created by electric currents in its liquid outer core, similar to the Earth's magnetic field. The process includes a feedback loop involving current loops, changing magnetic fields, and the Lorentz force.
electron_man
Was wondering how Jupiter's hydrogen liquid core converts the energy to create a magnetic field? and How exactly do these properties behave?

I understand that my phrasing of the Question might be odd and may be wrong but i was just wondering how it worked

Astronomy news on Phys.org
electron man, I cannot say how Jupiter's magnetic field is created. I can only say what we know about the Earth's magnetic field through magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) and then try to apply the same physics to Jupiter.

"The Earth's magnetic field is mostly caused by electric currents in the liquid outer core, which is composed of highly conductive molten iron. A magnetic field is generated by a feedback loop: current loops generate magnetic fields (Ampère's circuital law); a changing magnetic field generates an electric field (Faraday's law); and the electric and magnetic fields exert a force on the charges that are flowing in currents (the Lorentz force)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_magnetic_field

Related to The Properties of Jupiter's Core that give it magnetism?

1. What is the composition of Jupiter's core?

The core of Jupiter is primarily made up of metallic hydrogen, with smaller amounts of rock and ice.

2. Why does Jupiter's core have a magnetic field?

Jupiter's core has a magnetic field because of its rapid rotation which creates a dynamo effect, generating electrical currents that produce a magnetic field.

3. How strong is Jupiter's magnetic field?

Jupiter's magnetic field is about 20,000 times stronger than Earth's, with a magnetic moment of 4.28 x 10^18 T*m^3.

4. What role does the metallic hydrogen in Jupiter's core play in its magnetism?

The metallic hydrogen in Jupiter's core is a good conductor of electricity, allowing for the generation of electrical currents that create the magnetic field.

5. Is Jupiter's magnetic field stable?

Jupiter's magnetic field is not stable and undergoes changes due to the planet's rotation and the interaction with its moons and the solar wind. These changes can cause fluctuations and disruptions in the magnetic field.