The properties of a black dwarf

• Thread starter dendros
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, a black dwarf is a white dwarf that has reached thermal equilibrium with its surroundings and no longer radiates. It is supported by electron degeneracy pressure, rather than chemical bonds or heat circulation. It is expected to eventually crystallize into a metal-like state, but will not return to a state of non-degenerate matter. This process is similar to that of a rogue planet, in terms of mass and gravity.
dendros
I understand that a black dwarf is a white dwarf which reached thermal equilibrium with the surrounding space, so it's very cold and do not radiates anymore (at least, not in the visible wavelengths).
But I'm curious about its other properties. From there, some questions:
1. If it is so cold, is its matter still degenerate (i.e, it supports its own weight through the electron degeneracy pressure) or it is an ordinary solidified matter?
2. Would it be more like a massive (in terms of mass) rogue planet?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's kind of a tricky question, because "ordinary solidified matter" is supported by electron degeneracy pressure. The reason you don't fall through the floor is largely because the chemical bonds in your body and in the floor holds their electrons in compact enough configurations that the electron degeneracy pressure between the electrons in your body and the electrons in the floor is greater than the gravitational force between your body and the Earth.

This is in contrast to the dominant form of matter in the universe: plasma. In plasma (e.g., every ordinary star everywhere), the kinetic energy of the particles, observed by us as heat, is what resists the inward pull of gravity.

The difference between ordinary planetary matter and white-dwarf degenerate matter is that in a white dwarf, no molecules exist; all chemical bonds have been ripped apart and it is nothing more than a ball of atoms, supported only by degeneracy pressure rather than by chemical bonds or heat circulation or anything else. In a rogue planet or gas giant, the gravity is far lower and so the majority of the body is under less gravitational force and can still form chemical bonds and undergo convection.

One other comment is that no black dwarves exist in our universe, because the universe has not existed long enough for any white dwarves to cool into thermal equilibrium.

phyzguy said:
One other comment is that no black dwarves exist in our universe, because the universe has not existed long enough for any white dwarves to cool into thermal equilibrium.

I know, but I thought that there are some models for black dwarfs.

sevenperforce said:
It's kind of a tricky question, because "ordinary solidified matter" is supported by electron degeneracy pressure. The reason you don't fall through the floor is largely because the chemical bonds in your body and in the floor holds their electrons in compact enough configurations that the electron degeneracy pressure between the electrons in your body and the electrons in the floor is greater than the gravitational force between your body and the Earth.

This is in contrast to the dominant form of matter in the universe: plasma. In plasma (e.g., every ordinary star everywhere), the kinetic energy of the particles, observed by us as heat, is what resists the inward pull of gravity.

The difference between ordinary planetary matter and white-dwarf degenerate matter is that in a white dwarf, no molecules exist; all chemical bonds have been ripped apart and it is nothing more than a ball of atoms, supported only by degeneracy pressure rather than by chemical bonds or heat circulation or anything else. In a rogue planet or gas giant, the gravity is far lower and so the majority of the body is under less gravitational force and can still form chemical bonds and undergo convection.

Yes, but the question was about white dwarf matter vs black dwarf matter. I guess I did not clearly formulated the question, so I rephrase: if the degenerate matter cools enough, will it turn back into normal matter, i.e matter with molecules and chemical bonds?
I want to know this: if the cooled degenerate matter becomes normal matter, how does it supports its own gravity, in the case of a black dwarf? We are speaking about an object with a radius similar to Earth's, but with the mass of a star.
Basically a rogue planet, in this respect.

That's my curiosity.

dendros said:
I guess I did not clearly formulated the question, so I rephrase: if the degenerate matter cools enough, will it turn back into normal matter, i.e matter with molecules and chemical bonds?
I want to know this: if the cooled degenerate matter becomes normal matter, how does it supports its own gravity, in the case of a black dwarf? We are speaking about an object with a radius similar to Earth's, but with the mass of a star.
Basically a rogue planet, in this respect.

That's my curiosity.
Ah, I understand the question better now.

No, the black dwarf will not return to a state of non-degenerate matter. The equations of state for white dwarf electron-degenerate matter are temperature-independent.

What does happen, though, is the ions crystallize. So it ends up being a lot like a metal, where the ions are like bricks, and experience electrostatic repulsion with very little kinetic energy, and the electrons are like a gas, with a huge kinetic energy that resists the gravity of the star without a lot of help from the ions.

Related to The properties of a black dwarf

1. What is a black dwarf?

A black dwarf is a theoretical celestial object that results from a white dwarf star cooling down over billions of years until it no longer emits any significant amount of light or heat.

2. How is a black dwarf formed?

A black dwarf is formed from a white dwarf star, which is the hot, dense core of a star that has run out of nuclear fuel. As the white dwarf cools down, it eventually becomes a black dwarf. This process can take trillions of years.

3. What are the properties of a black dwarf?

A black dwarf is extremely small, with a radius of only a few thousand kilometers. It is also incredibly dense, with a mass similar to that of the Sun but compressed into a much smaller size. It has a surface temperature close to absolute zero and does not emit any light or heat.

4. Can we observe a black dwarf?

No, we cannot observe a black dwarf directly as it does not emit any light. However, scientists may be able to indirectly observe them through their gravitational influence on other objects in space.

5. What is the significance of black dwarfs in the universe?

Black dwarfs are important in understanding the life cycle of stars and the fate of our own Sun. They also provide insights into the future of the universe, as they are the final stage of stellar evolution and may be the only surviving objects in the distant future of the universe.