The probe passes over an atom that is 3.20×10^2 nm tall.

• Thread starter albertsmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom Probe
In summary, the probe passing over an atom allows scientists to gather information about the atom's structure, composition, and behavior. This can help us understand the properties and interactions of atoms, which are the building blocks of all matter. The size of an atom is typically measured in picometers (pm), which is one trillionth of a meter. 3.20×10^2 nm is equal to 3.20×10^5 pm, which is considered to be a relatively large atom. Most atoms have a diameter of around 1-2 pm. The height of an atom is usually measured using a scanning probe microscope, which uses a sharp probe to scan the surface of the atom. The height is determined by the distance between
albertsmith
The probe passes over an atom that is 3.20×10^2 nm "tall."

The probe passes over an atom that is 3.20×10^2 nm "tall." By what factor does the tunneling current increase?

Physics news on Phys.org

Is this your homework? What have you learned about tunneling?

Yes this is my homework, can you give me a hint

I figure it out :)

Albertsmith said:
Yes this is my homework, can you give me a hint

please post homework in the homework forum. why do you think there exists such?

Related to The probe passes over an atom that is 3.20×10^2 nm tall.

1. What is the significance of the probe passing over an atom?

The probe passing over an atom allows scientists to gather information about the atom's structure, composition, and behavior. This can help us understand the properties and interactions of atoms, which are the building blocks of all matter.

2. What is the size of an atom that is 3.20×10^2 nm tall?

The size of an atom is typically measured in picometers (pm), which is one trillionth of a meter. 3.20×10^2 nm is equal to 3.20×10^5 pm, which is considered to be a relatively large atom. Most atoms have a diameter of around 1-2 pm.

3. How is the height of an atom measured?

The height of an atom is usually measured using a scanning probe microscope, which uses a sharp probe to scan the surface of the atom. The height is determined by the distance between the probe and the surface of the atom.

4. What does the "nm" in 3.20×10^2 nm represent?

The "nm" in 3.20×10^2 nm represents nanometers, which is a unit of measurement equal to one billionth of a meter. This is a commonly used unit when measuring the size of atoms and other particles.

5. How does the height of an atom affect its properties?

The height of an atom does not directly affect its properties. However, the size and arrangement of atoms can influence the physical and chemical properties of a substance. For example, smaller atoms tend to have stronger intermolecular forces, which can affect the melting and boiling points of a substance.