Solar chromosphere: inter-conversion of Ca I, Ca II, role of photons

In summary: Rather, it is the capture of an electron by an atom in the chromosphere that liberates the free electron. The electron then moves from its capture orbit (4P 3/2) to the 4S 1/2 orbital and in the process generates a photon of lambda = 393.37 nm. This photon then travels to my telescope with a Ca II-K filter and then to my imaging camera.
jordankonisky
TL;DR Summary
Does the mechanism of the formation of solar Ca I to Ca II require photons? What is the level of 393.37 nm photons in the solar chromosphere? Using Ca II filter to image solar Ca.
My question relates to the physics of the emission line of Ca II which originates in the solar chromosphere. My understanding is that ionized Ca which lacks a single electron in its valence orbital interacts with free electron in the chromosphere milieu to form Ca I (nonionized). The captured electron then moves from its capture orbital (4P 3/2) to the 4S 1/2 orbital and in the process generates a photon of lambda = 393.37 nm. This photon then travels to my telescope with a Ca II-K filter and then to my imaging camera.

My question is what is the mechanism by which that nonionized Ca I is converted to ionized Ca II. I have read that at the temperature of the chromosphere there is sufficient energy produced through atomic collisions to knock an electron out of the Ca I valence orbit to produce Ca II and a free electron. My question: does a photon of 393.37 nm play any role in the production of Ca II? Is it required that the leaving electron be kicked up to its capture orbital (4P 3/2) via absorption of a 393.37 nm photon before a collision can knock the electron out of Ca I to produce Ca II? Or can the collision free an electron from Ca I directly out of 4S ½ without the intervention of a 393.37 nm photon?

Finally, if there were no Ca in the chromosphere, wouldn’t there be some background of some 393.37 nm photons via the Black Body radiation profile? So, what I image are Ca II photons over a much lower concentration of free 393.37 nm photons. Hope I’m thinking about this right.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
jordankonisky said:
Summary:: Does the mechanism of the formation of solar Ca I to Ca II require photons? What is the level of 393.37 nm photons in the solar chromosphere? Using Ca II filter to image solar Ca.

My question relates to the physics of the emission line of Ca II which originates in the solar chromosphere. My understanding is that ionized Ca which lacks a single electron in its valence orbital interacts with free electron in the chromosphere milieu to form Ca I (nonionized). The captured electron then moves from its capture orbital (4P 3/2) to the 4S 1/2 orbital and in the process generates a photon of lambda = 393.37 nm. This photon then travels to my telescope with a Ca II-K filter and then to my imaging camera.

My question is what is the mechanism by which that nonionized Ca I is converted to ionized Ca II. I have read that at the temperature of the chromosphere there is sufficient energy produced through atomic collisions to knock an electron out of the Ca I valence orbit to produce Ca II and a free electron. My question: does a photon of 393.37 nm play any role in the production of Ca II? Is it required that the leaving electron be kicked up to its capture orbital (4P 3/2) via absorption of a 393.37 nm photon before a collision can knock the electron out of Ca I to produce Ca II? Or can the collision free an electron from Ca I directly out of 4S ½ without the intervention of a 393.37 nm photon?

Finally, if there were no Ca in the chromosphere, wouldn’t there be some background of some 393.37 nm photons via the Black Body radiation profile? So, what I image are Ca II photons over a much lower concentration of free 393.37 nm photons. Hope I’m thinking about this right.

I figured this out myself It is not the transition of the electron per se that is knocked out of the valence shell that generates the Ca K emission line.

What is the solar chromosphere?

The solar chromosphere is a layer of the Sun's atmosphere located between the photosphere and the corona. It is characterized by its reddish color and is approximately 2,000 km thick.

What is the inter-conversion of Ca I and Ca II in the solar chromosphere?

The inter-conversion of Ca I (neutral calcium) and Ca II (ionized calcium) in the solar chromosphere is a process in which photons from the Sun's energy cause neutral calcium atoms to gain or lose an electron, resulting in the formation of ionized calcium.

What is the role of photons in the solar chromosphere?

Photons play a crucial role in the solar chromosphere as they are responsible for the inter-conversion of Ca I and Ca II, which in turn affects the temperature and density of the chromosphere. They also contribute to the heating and dynamics of the chromosphere.

How does the inter-conversion of Ca I and Ca II impact the Sun's atmosphere?

The inter-conversion of Ca I and Ca II has a significant impact on the Sun's atmosphere as it affects the temperature, density, and dynamics of the chromosphere. It also plays a role in the formation of the Sun's magnetic field and can lead to the eruption of solar flares and prominences.

What are the potential applications of studying the solar chromosphere and its inter-conversion processes?

Studying the solar chromosphere and its inter-conversion processes can provide valuable insights into the Sun's magnetic field, solar activity, and space weather. It can also help in understanding the formation and evolution of stars and other astronomical objects.