The pre-PhD diploma program at ICTP

• Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, the speakers discussed the importance of pursuing a PhD in theoretical particle physics, as a Master's degree is often seen as a failed PhD. They also mentioned the necessary courses and background, such as Quantum Field Theory, Group Theory, General Relativity, and Supersymmetry, needed for cutting-edge research in string theory. The pre-PhD diploma program at ICTP was mentioned as a possible alternative to a traditional Master's program, but it was noted that more time and publications under the supervision of a physicist in the field are necessary to reach the level of actual research. The conversation also touched on the differences in the European approach to a Master+PhD program compared to the US.
spaghetti3451
I come from an undeveloped country and I am currently near the end of my Bachelor's degree. Currently, I am seriously considering a career as a theoretical particle physicist. Therefore, I would like to apply to Masters programs that enhance my technical skills and enable me to develop required expertise in the following courses:

Quantum Field Theory - all of Peskin and Schroder
Group Theory - all of Georgi
General Relativity - all of Hughston and Tod
Supersymmetry - all of Wess and Bagger

I believe that this is the foundational background to tackle cutting-edge research in string theory. What other subjects might you think I need to complete?

The pre-PhD diploma at ICTP offers the advantage of offering just such a course.The program happens to offer such benefits without the baggage of courses such as graduate-level classical mechanics, electrodynamics, quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. What's your opinion of the diploma program?

Physics news on Phys.org
Life is too short. Having a Master's in Physics is hardly better than having just a Bachelor's. If you want to be PAID to be a particle physicist, get a PhD. If you want to work along-side of the people who do particle physics, you know: making the coffee, sweeping the floor, installing the wiring, sure get a Master's. If you think it is - in general - a good idea to delay your doctorate, you are wrong. You'll have to decide if the risk of appearing as a second-rate student (for not going directly for your PhD) is balanced by some other personal concerns (eg finance, logistics, competence).

Likes ModusPwnd
That's surely one way to think about the program.

For instance, I hear many people mentioning, for instance, that a good understanding of Peskin and Schroeder requires a first taste with simpler textbooks like Ryder and Mandl, Shaw. But, it might be possible to just dive into the deep end with Peskin and Schroeder on the very first go and come out enlightened in QFT. That way, you just get to go to your goal of learning string theory that much faster.

ogg said:
Life is too short. Having a Master's in Physics is hardly better than having just a Bachelor's. If you want to be PAID to be a particle physicist, get a PhD. If you want to work along-side of the people who do particle physics, you know: making the coffee, sweeping the floor, installing the wiring, sure get a Master's. If you think it is - in general - a good idea to delay your doctorate, you are wrong. You'll have to decide if the risk of appearing as a second-rate student (for not going directly for your PhD) is balanced by some other personal concerns (eg finance, logistics, competence).

I agree completely. A masters in physics is generally seen as, and is, a failed PhD. Its not a good thing (in the US). If you want to do cutting edge research in string theory a PhD is necessary but still not sufficient. You need post-docs, good published papers and luck.

Hmm... so you guys are saying the pre-PhD diploma program is probably a better alternative to the typical Masters program?

ogg said:
You don't have to do either-or if you go to Europe. Here Master+PhD is similar to a US-PhD.
failexam said:
I believe that this is the foundational background to tackle cutting-edge research in string theory.
Well, you won't do cutting-edge research just with those books, but you get some chance to get an idea of some papers. Getting to the level of actual research needs more time.

After studying the above textbooks, do I have to read breakthrough papers in my specific field of interest (say, string theory, or supersymmetry, or GUT, etc.) to become up to par?

You need to publish papers under the supervision of a physicist in the field and present you work to peers to be on par.

mfb said:
You don't have to do either-or if you go to Europe. Here Master+PhD is similar to a US-PhD.
Indeed. In fact, most European universities will not accept you for a PhD position unless you have a master degree.

Related to The pre-PhD diploma program at ICTP

What is the pre-PhD diploma program at ICTP?

The pre-PhD diploma program at ICTP is a one-year program designed to prepare students for doctoral studies in physics and mathematics. It is offered by the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) in Trieste, Italy.

Who is eligible to apply for the pre-PhD diploma program at ICTP?

The program is open to students who have completed a bachelor's degree in physics, mathematics, or a related field. Applicants should also have a strong background in mathematics and physics and a good command of the English language.

What courses are included in the pre-PhD diploma program at ICTP?

The program includes courses in advanced mathematics, theoretical physics, and computational methods. Students also have the opportunity to participate in seminars, workshops, and research projects with leading scientists.

How can I apply for the pre-PhD diploma program at ICTP?

Interested students must complete an online application, which includes submitting transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. The application period typically opens in October and closes in January.

What are the benefits of the pre-PhD diploma program at ICTP?

The program offers a unique opportunity for students to enhance their knowledge and skills in physics and mathematics, while also gaining experience in an international and multicultural environment. Graduates of the program have gone on to pursue successful careers in academia and research.