The point of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

In summary: This is the equation for "straight" in the u direction. Similarly, ##∇_{e_2}e_2 = ω_{21}(e_2)e_1 = 0##. This is the equation for "straight" in the v direction. Just like the usual derivative being zero means a line is straight, the connection being zero means a line is a geodesic.
NihalRi
When trying to come up with the geodesic equation for a sphere I came across this equation. My question, is this equation just a short cut so we don't have to integrate and differentiate with two variables.
Here is the equation
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/Anoym1_CMRu6UeyS26mZmQ6lUIyHNg6uGfJMEY7usCCTrg_NtRCSl2teErq6b-uRGuiqYOWYQD0pMi2GLwYg2HP9fvx3mqPbwLlPonE6blR6Rn2EUaEv5M2u2IR2SjbGCJDinw=w136-h47-nc

Physics news on Phys.org
NihalRi said:
When trying to come up with the geodesic equation for a sphere I came across this equation. My question, is this equation just a short cut so we don't have to integrate and differentiate with two variables.
Here is the equation
[PLAIN]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/Anoym1_CMRu6UeyS26mZmQ6lUIyHNg6uGfJMEY7usCCTrg_NtRCSl2teErq6b-uRGuiqYOWYQD0pMi2GLwYg2HP9fvx3mqPbwLlPonE6blR6Rn2EUaEv5M2u2IR2SjbGCJDinw=w136-h47-nc[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what your integration and differentiation alternative looks like. The E-L equation optimises an entire path. Differentiating wrt one variable only optimises wrt that variable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes NihalRi
I don't know what is precisely your question but if can be useful I want remember you the dependence by the following variables ##L=L(t,q(t),\dot{q}(t))##.

Likes NihalRi
NihalRi said:
Here is the equation
[PLAIN]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/Anoym1_CMRu6UeyS26mZmQ6lUIyHNg6uGfJMEY7usCCTrg_NtRCSl2teErq6b-uRGuiqYOWYQD0pMi2GLwYg2HP9fvx3mqPbwLlPonE6blR6Rn2EUaEv5M2u2IR2SjbGCJDinw=w136-h47-nc[/QUOTE]

Yes. Geodesics are extremals of variations of the arc length function. So if you take a variation of smooth curves with fixed end-points and compute their arc lengths under the metric, solving for critical points tells you that you have a geodesic. This works for Riemannian metrics and although I don't know about Space-Time geometry, I think that timeline geodesics are extremals of proper time where the variation is through time like paths.

In (t,q) coordinates, ##<∂/∂t,∂/∂t> = E## ##<∂/∂t,∂/∂q> = F## and ##<∂/∂q,∂/∂q> = G. ##

The Lagrangian is then the function, ##L(t,q,q') = (E + Fq' + G(t,q)(q')^2)^{1/2}##

- If you parameterize the sphere as a surface in 3 space, then the condition for a geodesic is that its normal vector is perpendicular to the sphere. This is the same as saying the geodesic curvature is zero. Or if you have an equation for geodesic curvature in terms of the metric then solve for geodesic curvature equal zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes NihalRi
A good exercise - with some tedious algebra - is to derive the differential equations for a geodesic expressed in terms of the metric from the Euler-Lagrange equations. It should not be a surprise that this can be done since the Lagrangian is just the length of the tangent vector to the path and so is expressed in terms of the ##g_{ij}##'s. If one looks closely, one sees the Christoffel symbols appearing and then the equation has the usual form.

BTW: It is a theorem that one can also solve the variational problem without the horrid square root. Then the Lagrangian is called the "energy" in analogy with kinetic energy.

The Euler-Lagrange equations show that every extremal is a geodesic but not that every geodesic is an extremal.

BTW: It is not obvious to me that using the Euler Lagrange equations always makes things easier.

Last edited:
Likes NihalRi
If you choose polar coordinates on the sphere then the metric takes on a simple form.

It is ##<∂/∂u,∂/∂u> = 1## ##<∂/∂u,∂/∂v> =0## ##<∂/∂v,∂/∂v> = sin^2(u)##

Whenever the metric is of this general form, ##du^2 = 1## ##dudv = 0## and ##dv^2 = G(u)## where G is some positive function that depends only on ##u##, one immediately gets that the curves ,##v = ## constant, are geodesics. On the sphere these are great circles through the center of the coordinate system.

One can see this from the Euler-Lagrange equations without solving them in general. One can also see it from the covariant derivative. which is particularly easy to compute. One then uses the symmetry of the sphere to move these coordinates isometrically to any point and conclude that geodesics passing through any point are the radial lines ##v = ## a constant i.e. great circles.

- For the covariant derivative computation, choose the orthonormal frame, ##∂/∂u## and ##G^{-1/2}∂/∂v##.
The the dual frame is ##e_1 = du## ##e_2 = G^{1/2}dv## and ,therefore,the connection 1-form,##ω_{12}##, is ##ω_{12} =1/2 G^{-1/2}G_udv##. The rest of the connection matrix is ##ω_{11} = ω_{22} = 0## and ##ω_{21} = -ω_{12}## by skew symmetry.

So the covariant derivative, ##∇_{e_1}e_1 = ω_{12}(e_1)e_2 = 0##.

Last edited:

Related to The point of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical tool used in the field of calculus of variations to find the function that minimizes a certain functional. It is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path of a system between two points will follow the path that minimizes the action, or the integral of the Lagrangian over time.

2. What applications does the Euler-Lagrange equation have?

The Euler-Lagrange equation has applications in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. In physics, it is used to describe the motion of particles in a system, while in economics, it is used to find the optimal path for a consumer to reach a certain goal. In engineering, it is used to optimize the design and control of systems.

3. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived by setting the derivative of the functional with respect to the function equal to zero and solving for the function. This results in a second-order differential equation that must be satisfied by the minimizing function.

4. What is the significance of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is significant because it provides a systematic method to find the function that minimizes a certain functional. It is a fundamental tool in the field of calculus of variations and has numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

While the Euler-Lagrange equation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to find the minimizing function for a certain type of functional, known as the Lagrangian. It also assumes that the minimizing function exists and is unique. Additionally, it may not always provide a physically meaningful solution, and other methods may need to be used in these cases.