The Physics of Fishing and Rotational Motion

In summary, the conversation is discussing the equation that would prove the statement that a longer fishing pole would result in a higher velocity of the lure. The conversation mentions various rotational motion equations and discusses how the length of the pole affects the velocity of the lure. Eventually, the equation omega*R is suggested as the solution, with the length of the pole acting as the radius. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering other factors such as the lure mass, spring rate, and the skill and casting style of the fisherman.
tfl813

Homework Statement

I am writing a large paper on the physics of fishing and would like to know what equation would prove the statement that a longer fishing pole would result in a higher velocity of the lure?

My physics book gives me a gamut of equations for rotational motion but I can't figure out which on applies to this real world situation.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the lure being cast? Show us the gamut of equations.

Yes, the lure is being cast. My original equation that I used for my rough draft was: rotational inertia= (1/3)(m)l^2. But that does not prove my statement at all.

You know that the faster the lure is going when the line is released, the greater the distance it goes. So what equations apply to that situation.

That isn't really the situation I need an equation for. I need one that is length dependent. Think of a catapult, I need an equation that would say the longer the arm the greater the velocity of the projectile. Except in this case the arm is the fishing pole and the projectile is a lure.

That's what I'm steering you towards without telling you the answer. The velocity of the lure is rod length dependent. Obviously you require one that defines velocity.

I looked in my physics book and none of them have ω and length. The closest thing is ω=(rotational displacement/time), but that clearly is not it. The other one is L=mvr, but I'm not sure if it would help me. Those two are the closest ones so whatever you're wanting me to find, I don't think is in my book.

How about omega*R, where omega is rotational speed in radians/second and R is the radius? The simple formula gives the velocity at the end of the radius. So if you have a radius of 5 feet and a rotatonal speed of 1 revolution per second the tangential velocity is:

2*pi*5=10pi feet/sec

Lawrence you're the man, that one was not in my book anywhere. If I have a 7ft pole and am holding it from the very end the whole length of the pole will act as the radius, correct? So r=7ft?

That is correct if you consider the pole doesn't flex during the motion. The length of the pole is the radius.

That's all I need, thanks for the help!

It is not a simple question of pole length. One the one hand we must figure the length, spring rate, and lure mass. One the other hand we must match all that to the skill and casting style of the fisherman, which is not purely rotational. The idea is to apply the greatest possible force over the longest possible distance without breaking the line.

Related to The Physics of Fishing and Rotational Motion

1. How does rotational motion affect the fishing process?

Rotational motion plays a crucial role in fishing as it is responsible for the movement and stability of the fishing rod. When casting the fishing line, rotational motion is used to generate the necessary angular velocity to propel the line forward. It also helps to maintain the stability of the rod and allows for smooth reeling in of the catch.

2. What are the key principles of rotational motion in fishing?

The key principles of rotational motion in fishing include torque, equilibrium, and angular momentum. Torque is the measure of the force that causes rotational motion, equilibrium is the state in which the rod and line are balanced to maintain stability, and angular momentum is the measure of the amount of rotation an object has.

3. How does the length and weight of a fishing rod affect rotational motion?

The length and weight of a fishing rod play a significant role in rotational motion. A longer and heavier rod will require more torque to generate the same amount of angular velocity as a shorter and lighter rod. However, a longer and heavier rod can also provide more leverage and stability, making it easier to cast and reel in larger fish.

4. What is the role of drag in rotational motion during fishing?

Drag is the resistance force that acts on the fishing line as it moves through the air and water. In rotational motion, drag can affect the angular velocity of the line, making it harder to cast or control the movement of the line. It is important to consider the drag force when choosing the appropriate fishing line and reel for different fishing conditions.

5. How can understanding the physics of rotational motion improve fishing techniques?

Understanding the principles of rotational motion can improve fishing techniques by allowing anglers to make more accurate and efficient casts. By adjusting the amount of torque applied to the fishing rod, anglers can control the distance and direction of their cast. Additionally, understanding drag and equilibrium can help anglers choose the right equipment for different fishing conditions and increase their chances of catching fish.