The physics of a missile with uniform rate of fuel loss

In summary, the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation explains how rockets are able to propel themselves by expelling mass with high velocity. It relates the change in velocity to the effective exhaust velocity and the initial/final mass of the rocket. This equation can be derived using Lagrangian methods.
Pefgjk
Hello everyone!

I'm at a loss trying to figure out the specific force that pushes a missile at rest off the ground, to the high sky.

Considering a missile with constant mass, and an independent initial total fuel mass. The rate of fuel mass being expelled out of the missile is constant, in (kg/s); the fuel gas exits the missile at a constant speed wrt to the missile, in (m/s).

For convenience, I'm considering a 1-D case, along the height axis only.

My question is, the calculation of the force that points upward, pushing the missile through the air, with regard to the extent of Newtonian mechanics only.

I have tried applying Lagrangian mechanics to find the force, using the Lagrange-Euler equation for the case with external force, but the result did not seem consistent.

Please, help me if you have the time!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Google for "Tsiolkovsky rocket equation" to see how the math works out. (If you've already tried Lagrangian methods, you have more than enough math to handle Tsiolkovsky's stuff).

I don't have much time right now since its 1am here, but summing it up:
The Tsiolkovsky rocket equation (also known as ideal rocket equation) describes the motion of vehicles which follow the basic principles of rockets: basically it describes devices that can apply acceleration to themselves by using thrust by expeling part of its mass with high velocity (in other words, they move due to conservation of momentum).

The equation relates the delta-v with with the effective exhaust velocity and the initial/final mass of the rocket, as shown below.

9db5b4589ff9a385687c2474c5aef823eeece133

As Nugatory said, if you already used the Lagrangian methods you should be able to use that.

Related to The physics of a missile with uniform rate of fuel loss

1. What is the uniform rate of fuel loss in a missile?

The uniform rate of fuel loss in a missile refers to the consistent and constant rate at which the missile's fuel is burned or consumed during flight. This rate is determined by the design and specifications of the missile and is crucial in calculating the missile's trajectory and range.

2. How does the uniform rate of fuel loss affect a missile's flight path?

The uniform rate of fuel loss directly impacts the missile's flight path as it determines the amount of thrust and speed the missile can achieve. As the fuel is burned and the missile becomes lighter, its speed and trajectory will change accordingly. This is why precise calculations of the uniform rate of fuel loss are crucial in missile design and launch.

3. What factors influence the uniform rate of fuel loss in a missile?

The uniform rate of fuel loss in a missile is influenced by various factors, including the type and quality of the fuel, the design and structure of the missile, the environment and conditions in which the missile is launched, and the level of control and guidance systems installed in the missile.

4. How is the uniform rate of fuel loss calculated and measured in a missile?

The uniform rate of fuel loss in a missile is calculated and measured through various methods, including computer simulations, wind tunnel tests, and real-world flight tests. Engineers and scientists use sophisticated tools and instruments to accurately measure the fuel consumption and monitor the missile's flight path to determine the uniform rate of fuel loss.

5. Can the uniform rate of fuel loss be adjusted or changed during a missile's flight?

In most cases, the uniform rate of fuel loss in a missile cannot be adjusted or changed once the missile is launched. This is because the fuel consumption is directly linked to the missile's design and specifications. However, some advanced missiles may have the capability to adjust their fuel consumption during flight to improve performance or change the flight path, but this is a complex and challenging task that requires advanced technology and control systems.