The period of summation functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the period of summation of a function, specifically complex exponentials. The formula for finding the period of summations of complex exponentials is mentioned, and the conversation also touches on using Euler's method and converting to sines and cosines to find the period. The question of whether this method satisfies the definition of periodicity is also brought up. Ultimately, one person thinks they are correct while their friend disagrees.
Luongo
1. how do i find the period of summation of some function ie: 2^-k or cos(pi k) multiplied by some complex exponential ei7kt

ie: f( t ) = [tex]\sum[/tex]
2-kei7kt
2. does anyone know the formula for finding the period of summations of complex exponentials? note this is for fourier
3. would i say that omega is 7k by Euler's method. if i converted to sines and cosines, thus the period T = 2pi/7?
is this how i would find the period of this summation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of periodicity is as follows:
If T is the period of a function f(t) then,
f(t+ T) = f(t).

Does your answer admit to this definition ?

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
The definition of periodicity is as follows:
If T is the period of a function f(t) then,
f(t+ T) = f(t).

Does your answer admit to this definition ?

i think so thanks

You are welcome. :-)

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
You are welcome. :-)

my friend said i am wrong...?

Luongo said:
my friend said i am wrong...?
What is his reasoning ?

Related to The period of summation functions

1. What is a summation function?

A summation function is a mathematical expression that adds up a series of numbers. It is represented by the symbol Σ and is often used to find the total value of a set of numbers or to calculate the area under a curve.

2. How do you calculate the sum of a series using a summation function?

To calculate the sum of a series using a summation function, you need to first identify the pattern or formula for the series. Then, you can plug in the values into the summation function and evaluate it. For example, the sum of the first n natural numbers can be calculated as Σn = n(n+1)/2.

3. What is the difference between a finite and infinite summation function?

A finite summation function has a specific ending point, such as Σn=1 to 10, which means the sum will only include the first 10 terms. An infinite summation function, on the other hand, has no specific ending point and will continue adding up terms indefinitely.

4. How are summation functions used in real life?

Summation functions have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the total cost of a project, the amount of energy consumed, or the population growth rate, among other things.

5. Can you use a summation function to find the average of a set of numbers?

Yes, you can use a summation function to find the average of a set of numbers. The average, also known as the arithmetic mean, can be calculated by dividing the sum of the numbers by the total number of terms in the set. This can be represented as Σx/n, where x is the set of numbers and n is the total number of terms.