The Optical Theorem (Total cross section?)

In summary, the optical theorem, as defined by Sakurai, states that the total cross section of a scattering process is equal to 4π/k times the imaginary part of the scattering amplitude in the forward direction. The total cross section is the sum of the differential cross section over all directions, and it represents the amount the incoming wave function is scattered integrated over a sphere around the scatterer. The theorem can also be generalized to more general scattering processes and reflects fundamental principles of S-matrix theory, causality, and unitarity.
Xyius
I am going over the optical theorem (specifically from Sakurai) and I just have a simple couple of questions. The optical theorem says

[tex]\sigma_{total}=\frac{4\pi}{k}\text{Im}(f(0))[/tex]

Where ##f(0)## is the scattering amplitude in the forward direction. (Which I am assuming means the direction parallel to the incident direction. Or does it mean in the direction back towards the source?)

I just want to verify what is meant by the total cross section. To me the total cross section means the amount the incoming wave function is scattered integrated in all directions over a sphere around the scatterer. Is this the correct way of thinking?

Physics news on Phys.org
Xyius said:
(Which I am assuming means the direction parallel to the incident direction. Or does it mean in the direction back towards the source?)
The parallel one, not the antiparallel.
Xyius said:
To me the total cross section means the amount the incoming wave function is scattered integrated in all directions over a sphere around the scatterer
Differential cross-section is defined as the fraction of the scattered probability current at certain direction, fraction means relative to the incoming probability current. The total cross section is the sum of differential cross section over all directions.

Likes Xyius
Thank you! (Sorry for the late reply!)

It's worth mentioning that on the left-hand side stands the total cross section, including both elastic and inelastic channels, while on the right-hand side there's the elastic scattering amplitude.

The optical theorem can be generalized to more general scattering processes than just single-particle scattering on a potential. It reflects the very fundamental principles of S-matrix theory, causality and unitarity and is closely linked to detailed balance in kinetic theory.

Related to The Optical Theorem (Total cross section?)

What is the optical theorem?

The optical theorem is a fundamental concept in the field of theoretical physics and optics that describes the relationship between the scattering and absorption of light by a medium. It states that the total cross section for scattering is equal to the imaginary part of the forward scattering amplitude.

What is the total cross section?

The total cross section is a measure of the probability of a particle undergoing a scattering process. It is defined as the area perpendicular to the direction of the incident particles that is required to contain the scattered particles. In the context of the optical theorem, it is related to the imaginary part of the forward scattering amplitude.

How is the optical theorem used in research?

The optical theorem is a powerful tool in theoretical and experimental research, particularly in the fields of optics, particle physics, and quantum mechanics. It allows researchers to calculate the total cross section for scattering events and to understand the properties of various materials and particles.

What is the significance of the optical theorem in physics?

The optical theorem is significant because it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of light and matter at the microscopic level. It has applications in a wide range of fields, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and material science, and has been validated through numerous experiments.

Is the optical theorem a universal law?

While the optical theorem is a well-established and widely used concept in physics, it is not considered a universal law in the same sense as the laws of thermodynamics or Newton's laws of motion. It is a theoretical framework that has been verified through experiments, but its applicability may be limited in certain scenarios.