The Natural Logarithm and the Mysterious Constant e

• Thread starter AMF8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx E^x
In summary: It looks circular, but you could go the other way 'round the circle i.e. start by defining a function as a solution to the integral:f(x) = \int{\frac{dx}{x}} Without evaluating the integral (because you don't know how), you can figure out some of the properties of the function and see that it has all the properties of a logarithm function (is there some way to make that more rigourous?) Call it the natural logarithm (it arose naturally in our investigation of that integral). Then ask, what is the base of this mysterious logarithm? What are the properities of the inverse exponential function? Once you find out
AMF8
why does d e^x / dx = e^x ?

Physics news on Phys.org
the fact that e^(x+y) = e^x e^y, implies that, if e^x is differentiable, then the derivative is a constant times e^x.the explicit value of the constant depends on the base. the base e is defined as the unique base such that the constant equals 1.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\,e^{x}=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{e^{x}\left(e^{h}-1\right)}{h}[/tex]

[tex]e=\lim_{h\to 0}\left(1+h\right)^{\frac{1}{h}}\implies e^{h}=\lim_{h\to 0}\left(1+h\right)[/tex]

Substitute:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\,e^{x}=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{e^{x}\left(\left(1+h\right)-1\right)}{h}=\lim_{h\to 0}e^{x}=e^{x}[/tex]

AMF8 said:
why does d e^x / dx = e^x ?

because e^a=e^a*a' and x'=1*dx/dx which is 1

benorin said:
Is power series too much?

Power rule doesn't work for variables.

e^x=> xe^(x-1) is not right as far as i can tell.

As Binorin said.
[tex] e = 1 + x + \frac {x^2} {2!} + \frac {x^3} {3!} +\frac {x^4} {4!} + ... [/tex]

Now differentiate.

Integral said:
As Binorin said.
[tex] e = 1 + x + \frac {x^2} {2!} + \frac {x^3} {3!} +\frac {x^4} {4!} + ... [/tex]
Now differentiate.
0 = e^x ? :wink:

Robokapp said:
Power rule doesn't work for variables.
e^x=> xe^(x-1) is not right as far as i can tell.

Power series != power rule.

neutrino said:
0 = e^x ? :wink:
Hehe, its probably just a typo :biggrin: , it should be:
[tex]e^x = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + \cdots[/tex]

(offcourse :)

Igor_S said:
Hehe, its probably just a typo :biggrin: , it should be:
[tex]e^x = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + \cdots[/tex]

(offcourse :)
You may be correct :blushing:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} (e^x) = e^x[/tex] ?

Can it not be stated that that the solution is derived from theorem?
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} (a^x) = a^x \ln a[/tex]
[tex]a = e[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} (e^x) = e^x \ln e[/tex]
[tex]\ln e = 1[/tex]
therefore:
[tex]\boxed{\frac{d}{dx} (e^x) = e^x}[/tex]

Last edited:
Orion1 said:
Can it not be argued that that the solution is derived from theorem?

Probably not as that theorem is usually proved by using the derivative of e^x.

I think series subject is the better one

Why is [tex]\frac d {dx} \exp(x) = \exp(x)[/tex]? The answer depends on how one defines the exponential function.

1. The exponential function is the function for which
[tex]\frac d {dx} \exp(x) = \exp(x)[/tex]
such that
[tex]\exp(0) = 1[/tex].
In this case, the answer is because its defined that way.

2. The exponential function is defined by the power series
[tex]\exp(x) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]
In this case, differentiating the power series that defines exp(x) yields the same power series.

3. The exponential function is defined by the limit
[tex]\exp(x) = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(1+\frac x n\right)^n[/tex]
In this case, differentiating the limit yields
[tex]\exp(x) = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \left(1+\frac x n\right)^{n-1}[/tex]
Write the limit definition as
[tex]\exp(x) = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(1+\frac x n\right)^{n-1} + \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac x n\left(1+\frac x n\right)^{n-1}[/tex]
The latter limit is clearly zero. The former limit is the same as the derivative of the defining limit. Thus differentiating the limit that defines exp(x) yields the same limit.

[tex] y' = y[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=y[/tex]

We multiply with [tex] dx [/tex] on each side and divide by [tex] y [/tex]:

[tex] \frac{dy}{y} = dx [/tex]

Integrals please!

[tex] \int{\frac{dy}{y}} = \int{dx} [/tex]

[tex]lny = x+C'[/tex]

Out of knowledge of the natural logarithm:

[tex]y = e^{x+C'}[/tex]
[tex]y = e^xe^{C'}[/tex]
[tex]C=e^{C'}[/tex]
[tex]y = Ce^x[/tex]

That's it! o:)

Last edited:
VikingF said:
[tex] y' = y[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=y[/tex]
We multiply with [tex] dx [/tex] on each side and divide by [tex] y [/tex]:
[tex] \frac{dy}{y} = dx [/tex]
Integrals please!
[tex] \int{\frac{dy}{y}} = \int{dx} [/tex]
[tex]lny = x+C'[/tex]
Out of knowledge of the natural logarithm:
[tex]y = e^{x+C'}[/tex]
[tex]y = e^xe^{C'}[/tex]
[tex]C=e^{C'}[/tex]
[tex]y = Ce^x[/tex]
That's it! o:)
Of course, without the knowledge that dex/dx=ex, you wouldn't know that the anti-derivative of 1/x is ln(x)!

apmcavoy said:
Of course, without the knowledge that dex/dx=ex, you wouldn't know that the anti-derivative of 1/x is ln(x)!

It looks circular, but you could go the other way 'round the circle i.e. start by defining a function as a solution to the integral:

[tex] f(x) = \int{\frac{dx}{x}} [/tex]

Without evaluating the integral (because you don't know how), you can figure out some of the properties of the function and see that it has all the properties of a logarithm function (is there some way to make that more rigourous?) Call it the natural logarithm (it arose naturally in our investigation of that integral). Then ask, what is the base of this mysterious logarithm? What are the properities of the inverse exponential function? Once you find out that this base crops up everywhere in the natural sciences, it makes sense that it is natural exponential function.

My first year calculus textbook did it both ways. Personally I like starting out with the exponential function (DH's post) better.

cepheid said:
It looks circular, but you could go the other way 'round the circle i.e. start by defining a function as a solution to the integral:
[tex] f(x) = \int{\frac{dx}{x}} [/tex]
Without evaluating the integral (because you don't know how), you can figure out some of the properties of the function and see that it has all the properties of a logarithm function (is there some way to make that more rigourous?) Call it the natural logarithm (it arose naturally in our investigation of that integral). Then ask, what is the base of this mysterious logarithm? What are the properities of the inverse exponential function? Once you find out that this base crops up everywhere in the natural sciences, it makes sense that it is natural exponential function.
My first year calculus textbook did it both ways. Personally I like starting out with the exponential function (DH's post) better.

The way we learned it when we studied engineering, was that [tex]ln(x)[/tex] is defined as the area between the vertical lines t=1, t=x, and between the function [tex]y=\frac{1}{t}[/tex] and the t-axis. (i.e., [tex]ln(x)=\int\limits_1^x{\frac{dt}{t}} [/tex])The constant [tex]e[/tex] is defined as the constant x that makes the area above exactly 1.

Then, by studying this a little closer, we can see that the inverse of [tex]ln(x)[/tex] is [tex]e^x[/tex]. I don't remember quite exactly how we get to that, but that is at least why I wrote it in the post above. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Related to The Natural Logarithm and the Mysterious Constant e

1. How is the derivative of e^x equal to e^x?

The derivative of a function is a measure of its instantaneous rate of change. In the case of e^x, its derivative is equal to itself, meaning that the rate of change of e^x at any point is equal to the value of e^x at that point. This can be mathematically proven using the definition of the derivative and the properties of exponential functions.

2. Why does the derivative of e^x not change?

The derivative of e^x does not change because it is a constant value. This is due to the fact that e^x is a special type of exponential function called a natural exponential function, and its derivative is always equal to itself. This is one of the many properties of exponential functions that make them useful in many areas of science and mathematics.

3. What is the significance of e in the derivative of e^x?

The value of e, approximately equal to 2.718, is a fundamental constant in mathematics and is the base of natural logarithms. In the case of e^x, the derivative is equal to e^x because e is the base of the function. This means that the natural exponential function has a special property where its derivative is equal to itself, making it a useful function in many scientific and mathematical applications.

4. How does the derivative of e^x relate to other exponential functions?

The derivative of e^x can be extended to other exponential functions by using the chain rule of differentiation. This means that the derivative of e^x can be applied to any function raised to the power of x, where x is a variable. This generalizes the derivative of e^x and allows us to find the derivative of other exponential functions.

5. Can the derivative of e^x be used in real-life applications?

Yes, the derivative of e^x has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to model population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest. It is also used in differential equations, which are used to model many natural phenomena. Understanding the properties of the derivative of e^x is essential for solving these real-world problems.