The Mystery of Pulleys: Answers to Your Burning Questions

• Thread starter markyyyyyy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulleys
In summary: The compound pulley makes it easier to lift an object because the force required to move the weight is half due to the moveable pulley.
markyyyyyy
Homework Statement
please can someone provide the answer to this question? see image attached I keep thinking B and C offer the same but i'm not sure?
Relevant Equations
n/a
Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 20.31.11.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

No, we cannot give you the answer and reasoning. That is for you to do. We can only offer tutorial help after you show your best efforts to work the problem.

So what have you learned about compound pulleys so far? Why does a compound pulley make it "easier" to lift an object? What is the tradeoff in using a compound pulley -- what do you have to do more of in order to make the lifting force less? How can you apply that fact to this problem?

Also, have you learned how to draw Free Body Diagrams (FBDs) yet in class?

Likes DaveE and phinds
my understanding is that the compound pulley makes it easier because the force required to move the weight is half due to the moveable pulley. i can also say that for every 1 metre of rope pulled, the weight will only move up 0.5m due. I'm confused between the diagrams B and C because to me they require the same effort / neither B or C is easier? They both have a fixed and moveable pulley, its only the anchor that is different, so which pulley makes it easier to lift a heavy weight?Thanks.

Last edited:
markyyyyyy said:
i can also say that for every 1 metre of rope pulled, the weight will only move up 0.5m due.
Can you sketch this for each of the 3 examples? What does it look like before and after you've pulled 1m of rope?

Likes berkeman
markyyyyyy said:
Problem Statement: please can someone provide the answer to this question? see image attached I keep thinking B and C offer the same but I'm not sure?
Relevant Equations: n/a

View attachment 247378
None of the choices provided are correct. [Unless one is very picky about the slant in the middle strand in C or less than appropriately picky about the slant in the left strand in A]

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

Related to The Mystery of Pulleys: Answers to Your Burning Questions

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to lift or move heavy objects. It consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or chain that wraps around the wheel.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by changing the direction of force needed to lift an object. When the rope or chain is pulled down, the weight of the object is distributed evenly and it becomes easier to lift.

3. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed pulleys, movable pulleys, and compound pulleys. Fixed pulleys have a stationary axle and are used to change the direction of force. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and are used to increase the force needed to lift an object. Compound pulleys combine multiple fixed and movable pulleys to create a greater mechanical advantage.

4. What is mechanical advantage?

Mechanical advantage is a measure of the force amplification achieved by using a machine, such as a pulley, to lift an object. It is calculated by dividing the output force by the input force.

5. How are pulleys used in everyday life?

Pulleys are used in many everyday objects and activities, such as elevators, cranes, flagpoles, and even exercise equipment. They are also commonly used in industries such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation.