The motor principle and direction of force on conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the right-hand rule for the motor principle and the possibility of using the left-hand rule instead. The use of field lines for the magnet is also mentioned. The tutor confirms that the right-hand rule is correct and explains the difference between the two rules.
alexandria

Homework Statement

upload_2016-4-17_15-58-21.png

Homework Equations

no equations required

The Attempt at a Solution

can someone please verify if my answer is correct. Thanks!
upload_2016-4-17_15-58-31.png

I used the right-hand rule for the motor principle (although another tutor on physics forum told me that its supposed to be the 'left-hand rule' for the motor principle??) to check my answer.
Using the right hand rule, my thumb must point “out of the page”, fingers facing towards the bottom of the page (facing towards the S-pole). My palm pushes in the direction of the force, as shown in the diagram above.

Physics news on Phys.org
I concur with your answer, but you also need to show the field lines for the magnet.

alexandria said:
although another tutor on physics forum told me that its supposed to be the 'left-hand rule' for the motor principle??
Your answer is correct. The right
-hand rule you are using is actually the right-hand palm rule(or 'slap' rule). The left-hand rule I was referring to is the Fleming's left- hand rule which involves index finger(force), middle finger(field) and thumb(current). Both give the same result. But I believe Fleming's rules are more common in textbooks, left-hand for motor and right-hand for generator.

got it, thanks :smile:

1. What is the motor principle?

The motor principle refers to the principle of electromagnetic induction, which states that when a conductor is placed in a magnetic field and a current is passed through it, a force is exerted on the conductor, causing it to move.

2. How does the direction of the current affect the direction of the force on the conductor?

The direction of the current flowing through the conductor determines the direction of the force on the conductor. If the current is flowing in the same direction as the magnetic field, the force will be in one direction, and if the current is flowing in the opposite direction, the force will be in the opposite direction.

3. What factors affect the strength of the force on the conductor?

The strength of the force on the conductor depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the length of the conductor, and the magnitude of the current passing through the conductor.

4. Can the motor principle be applied to any type of conductor?

Yes, the motor principle can be applied to any type of conductor, as long as it is able to carry an electric current and is placed in a magnetic field.

5. How is the motor principle used in practical applications?

The motor principle is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in devices like speakers, headphones, and microphones, where the movement of a conductor in a magnetic field creates sound waves.