The most diversified PhD program-?

In summary, the person is an Instrument Engineer looking to pursue a PhD program in the US. They have a wide range of interests including maths, physics, electronics, languages, and chemistry. They are seeking a program that is diverse and requires knowledge from multiple fields such as physics, maths, electronics, and chemistry. Suggestions given include Lab-on-a-chip research and nanoscience, but they are also open to other options. They are looking for advice on which PhD program would be the best fit for their interests and skills.
Searcher83
The most diversified PhD program-?

Hello everybody,

I'm an Instrument Engineer working in Oil&Gas sector(field work in automation with transmitters,sensors,valves,PLCs,etc.) who wants to follow the PhD program in one of the US universities.The thing is I have a varied set of interests which make my choice quite complicated.I'm really good at maths,physics,electronics,langs, and I really like 'em all.I also like to do different chemical experimets on my own as a hobbyist.

I understand that considering my education and industrial experience it's more logical for me to choose some PhD program in engineering rather than in a science.Besides that,I like when the theory is applicable.

So,my question is the following:which multi-varied PhD program could be the best fit for me?I'd like to do a research in some diversified field which requires knowledge from physics,maths,electronics,chemistry simultaneously because the Electrical and Electronics engineering alone doesn't cover the spectrum of my interests.I need something more varied,more diverse.Could you share your opinions on that and advice me sth,pls?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you would enjoy something like Lab-on-a-chip research, where you will need all your skills. But in general everything within nanoscience could be interesting for you.
Good luck.

RedSonja,thanks for the reply.
But which PhD program(in which field) is the best fit for me to work in a Lab-on-a-chip research and nanoscience?

Sorry, I don't know about US, since I'm from Denmark, where we don't have ph.d.-programmes as such. Here a ph.d. student is hired by a research-group to do a specific researchproject and choose their own courses, usually in the form of studygroups.

Ok,thank you.But I'm interested particularly in the US programs.

Ok,everybody,I'll re-formulate the question in a more general way.Which PhD program requires from the student a usage of the wide spectrum of knowledge in electronics,physics,maths,chemistry?

I guess this question is interesting not only for me but also for many others visiting this forum.

Any answers will be highly appreciated.

Related to The most diversified PhD program-?

What is a diversified PhD program?

A diversified PhD program is a graduate program that offers a broad range of courses and research opportunities in various disciplines, allowing students to gain knowledge and skills in multiple areas.

What are the benefits of a diversified PhD program?

A diversified PhD program allows students to explore different fields of study, build a diverse skill set, and potentially increase job opportunities after graduation. It also promotes interdisciplinary collaboration and innovation.

What are the requirements for a diversified PhD program?

The specific requirements vary from program to program, but generally, applicants need to have a bachelor's or master's degree in a related field, strong academic performance, and research experience. Some programs may also require GRE scores and letters of recommendation.

Can I choose my own research topic in a diversified PhD program?

Yes, most diversified PhD programs allow students to choose their own research topic, as long as it aligns with the program's focus and there is a faculty member available to supervise the research.

What career options are available for graduates of a diversified PhD program?

Graduates of a diversified PhD program have a wide range of career options, including academia, government agencies, non-profit organizations, and industry. They can also pursue careers in research and development, consulting, and science communication.